iPad tether to Android phone

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
You're a clever bunch; I have little interest or experience of this sort of thing...

In a non-wifi area is it feasible or even possible to tether a 3rd gen iPad to an Android phone (Sony Xperia) to use the data allowance?

Not worried too much about cost etc, just the feasibility of it.

Yo.

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    when i looked into doing this with my ipod touch and blackberry it was difficult. with android it should be very simple to just create a localised hotspot
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    ^ What he said. Never tried it with an ipod, but setting an Android phone up as a local hotspot and then connecting a laptop to that hotspot is child's play. You don't even need to download any apps, Android does it straight out of the box via an option in the Wifi settings menu.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    settings

then under wireless and networks choose more and theres a tethering option in there
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    I have a samsung 2. I go into

settings / more settings / tethering and portable hotspots

Turn on 'portable hotspot'. Give it a name and password and then connect from my ipad as if it is a home wifi
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • CiB
    Brill. If I had the phone with me I'd give it a go now.

Cheers folks.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    CiB wrote:
    If I had the phone with me
    Aren't you missing the point of a mobile phone?

I assume it's on a table in your hallway, which is also where you sit/stand when making or receiving calls?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • CiB
    I have a work phone for phoning purposes. The other one (mine) is for Strava and those times when the weak business justification falls below even what I might consider the acceptable limit.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    CiB wrote:
    I have a work phone for phoning purposes. The other one (mine) is for Strava and those times when the weak business justification falls below even what I might consider the acceptable limit.

I quite often use my wife's iphone as for a mobile wifi point very easy.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Word of warning - it will eat your battery double-quick-time...
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • CiB
    Done. It works, I changed the pwd that it assigns by default and tethered it up. It's jolly slow though. :( Noted battery life comment, but it's to be expected and there'll be enough charge time to keep on top of it.

Cheers for the help.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    TGOTB wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    If I had the phone with me
    Aren't you missing the point of a mobile phone?

I assume it's on a table in your hallway, which is also where you sit/stand when making or receiving calls?

It'll be next to the box he puts the money in to pay for the phonecalls :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.