RideLondon - I feel Used!!

izza
izza Posts: 1,561
I miss out on the ballot and they still use me for the cover shoot. :shock: :shock: :lol::lol:

You can tell it is photoshopped as that is the first time I have ever gone on the front of a group / peloton.

1e7e3b9b-3063-4714-b7f2-04c96f065fcd_zpse70524be.jpg

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Contact them. I reckon they'd be embarrassed enough to find you a place.
    exercise.png
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I'd agree with the above, get on the phone to them!

How come you are on the cover anyway?
    Was it some kind of promo shoot?
    Or have they lifted the photo from some event you took part in?
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Find out if they have the rights to use the image too...

If not, the license fee is one free entry. ;-)
  • adydow
    adydow Posts: 92
    Go onto their Facebook page and shame them into giving you a place https://www.facebook.com/RideLondon?fref=ts Good luck!
    Of course its about the bike! Although having the legs helps.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you get no joy with them try the local press. They love that sort of story.
  • izza
    Reply gone to the organisers last night. It read:

Subject: FAO Georgina Warren
    Dear Ms. Warren,

I am writing on behalf of my good fortune, which has hit rock bottom.

The fact is, I love cycling, I really do. I have joined London Phoenix cycling club and continue to weave across the South East of England in skin tight lycra, dropping gallons of sweat onto the public highways and a suffer injuries at the hands of the North London car driving fraternity.

However, your actions have hurt me much deeper than any superficial grazing and whiplash imposed by a Renault windscreen.

Admittedly, it has been an emotional rollercoaster to get to this point anyway. You cannot imagine my joy at hearing the current Mayor of London was also a middle aged cyclist who wanted to rid the highways, albeit only temporarily, of cars so that us two wheeled folk could enjoy the roads of London and Surrey. I begged and coerced my friends into joining the participation ballot alongside my entry – emails, banter, Facebook, Twitter, you name it, I used it. Maybe I was naïve, in thinking my keenness would give a big enough karma to ensure a golden ticket level of importance to my entry. Maybe I should have forecast the wife’s lack of interest in my efforts given 4th August 2013 is our 12th wedding anniversary.

Nor do I think you can comprehend the level of disappointment when I was unsuccessful in the ballot. I won’t deny the congratulations I uttered to successful friends were both forced and tinged with melancholy. Insult (only) started turning to internal injury two days ago, when I discovered that one friend is unable to now make the event – whilst he graciously offered up his ticket, the non-transferable policy in place prevented such a gesture. Life was becoming so bloody unfair.

And then the final blow.

How surprised do you feel I was when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment that I was the “poster boy” who is being used by you to front the campaign to inspire all London Ride 100 participants with their Final Countdown. This is despite me not being contacted by anyone from the Mayor’s office nor me giving specific permission for my image to be used. It is not as if I would have demanded huge sums of money. Mere entry into the event would suffice. Especially as I know slots that won’t be taken!!

And whilst I cannot hold you to blame for the kit ordering process for the London Phoenix, your campaign started 4 – 6 weeks prior to the arrival of my club kit. To this end, I have no choice but to continue to wear the only kit that actually fits me and thereby avoid looking just like I have cycled straight out of your advertising campaign.

As I said at the start I love cycling. It’s just a shame that simple things like courtesy and mutual co-operation have not been apparently forthcoming regarding this issue. Without an entry, I fear its back to the barrage I am currently getting via social media, emails and texts where I have to continually confirm the situation that I am not currently allowed to participate in the Ride London 100 even though my image is used to advertise the event, that this was done without permission and that I haven't received a penny and yet all I want is to ride.

I do hope this situation can be altered and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely

Izza

P.S. Do you have any tips as to the Tour De France? I recently put £50 on Chris Froome to win but having read the above, you can guess I currently feel I may have jinxed the poor lad and thereby derailed all of Mr. Brailsford’s extensive and careful planning.

Attachments
    - Your magazine cover
    - A few pictures of me (including one with Stephen Roche to prove my abilities) to confirm I am not an imposter
    - A scan of my marriage license to prove the above is not a pack of lies
  • izza
    And a good friend whose opinion I rate very highly (he works in publishing) confirmed by email this morning:

Seriously, I deal with this stuff all the time. Unless that image was taken at last years event, or at this event in the past, where they have gained the right to use your image to promote the event, they are not allowed to use your image without permission, as it is a commercial usage, not an editorial usage. Front cover, or the equivalent, is promotional or commercial usage, so you would have a case.
  • Mikey1976
    Mikey1976 Posts: 165
    izza wrote:
    Reply gone to the organisers last night. It read:

Subject: FAO Georgina Warren
    Dear Ms. Warren,

I am writing on behalf of my good fortune, which has hit rock bottom.

The fact is, I love cycling, I really do. I have joined London Phoenix cycling club and continue to weave across the South East of England in skin tight lycra, dropping gallons of sweat onto the public highways and a suffer injuries at the hands of the North London car driving fraternity.

However, your actions have hurt me much deeper than any superficial grazing and whiplash imposed by a Renault windscreen.

Admittedly, it has been an emotional rollercoaster to get to this point anyway. You cannot imagine my joy at hearing the current Mayor of London was also a middle aged cyclist who wanted to rid the highways, albeit only temporarily, of cars so that us two wheeled folk could enjoy the roads of London and Surrey. I begged and coerced my friends into joining the participation ballot alongside my entry – emails, banter, Facebook, Twitter, you name it, I used it. Maybe I was naïve, in thinking my keenness would give a big enough karma to ensure a golden ticket level of importance to my entry. Maybe I should have forecast the wife’s lack of interest in my efforts given 4th August 2013 is our 12th wedding anniversary.

Nor do I think you can comprehend the level of disappointment when I was unsuccessful in the ballot. I won’t deny the congratulations I uttered to successful friends were both forced and tinged with melancholy. Insult (only) started turning to internal injury two days ago, when I discovered that one friend is unable to now make the event – whilst he graciously offered up his ticket, the non-transferable policy in place prevented such a gesture. Life was becoming so bloody unfair.

And then the final blow.

How surprised do you feel I was when I discovered to my considerable dissatisfaction and disappointment that I was the “poster boy” who is being used by you to front the campaign to inspire all London Ride 100 participants with their Final Countdown. This is despite me not being contacted by anyone from the Mayor’s office nor me giving specific permission for my image to be used. It is not as if I would have demanded huge sums of money. Mere entry into the event would suffice. Especially as I know slots that won’t be taken!!

And whilst I cannot hold you to blame for the kit ordering process for the London Phoenix, your campaign started 4 – 6 weeks prior to the arrival of my club kit. To this end, I have no choice but to continue to wear the only kit that actually fits me and thereby avoid looking just like I have cycled straight out of your advertising campaign.

As I said at the start I love cycling. It’s just a shame that simple things like courtesy and mutual co-operation have not been apparently forthcoming regarding this issue. Without an entry, I fear its back to the barrage I am currently getting via social media, emails and texts where I have to continually confirm the situation that I am not currently allowed to participate in the Ride London 100 even though my image is used to advertise the event, that this was done without permission and that I haven't received a penny and yet all I want is to ride.

I do hope this situation can be altered and look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely

Izza

P.S. Do you have any tips as to the Tour De France? I recently put £50 on Chris Froome to win but having read the above, you can guess I currently feel I may have jinxed the poor lad and thereby derailed all of Mr. Brailsford’s extensive and careful planning.

Attachments
    - Your magazine cover
    - A few pictures of me (including one with Stephen Roche to prove my abilities) to confirm I am not an imposter
    - A scan of my marriage license to prove the above is not a pack of lies

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Quality! If that don't get you in nothing will!!!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    mikenetic wrote:
    The rights to the image will belong to the photographer, not the subject.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    mikenetic wrote:
    The rights to the image will belong to the photographer, not the subject.

Absolutely right! Restrictions on the use of a photograph can be made if it is taken on private property or if there is a specific contract in place between the photographer and the subject restricting its use. I'm afraid as the picture looks like it was taken during a sportive on public roads you have no claim whatsoever.
  • zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    izza wrote:
    And a good friend whose opinion I rate very highly (he works in publishing) confirmed by email this morning:

Seriously, I deal with this stuff all the time. Unless that image was taken at last years event, or at this event in the past, where they have gained the right to use your image to promote the event, they are not allowed to use your image without permission, as it is a commercial usage, not an editorial usage. Front cover, or the equivalent, is promotional or commercial usage, so you would have a case.

This is not correct, as a photographer myself the copyright and usage of an image always lies with the photographer. The subject of a picture has no rights unless the picture was taken on private property or if there is a specific contract in place between the photographer and subject restricting usage. A picture does not have to be taken at the event for which it is being use to advertise unless it is being used in a way that deliberatly misleads. As this is the first running of this event it is clear that no previous event pictures exists so there is no way that it could be misleading. I'm afraid you have no case.
  • markhewitt1978
    Perhaps but his image is being used in promotional material without his consent.

Imagine if you will e.g. Mark Cavenish having his photo taken in a public place and then become the face of Wiggle - for example. Could you imagine his legal team wouldn't have words?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    You deffo wont get a place now - it'll take the poor woman a few weeks to read through that - why not just say 'you've used my face, can I have a freebie' :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • markhewitt1978
    You deffo wont get a place now - it'll take the poor woman a few weeks to read through that - why not just say 'you've used my face, can I have a freebie' :D

True. With complaints like that you need to be concise and straight to the point
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I would imagine that the photos may have come from Marathon Photos who were recently announced as the partner for Ride London. They likely own the copyright to photos taken by the Photographers, rather than the Photographers themselves as would be usual, because the Photographers would be employed to work for Marathon Photos directly. The photos would then have come from another sportive obviously, where they would have been granted a licence by Marathon Photos to use it. Just like this sportive, whatever sportive you took part in before, there was likely a notice that you would be photographed.

I think one thing to point out though is that Izza is hardly the face of Ride London, he is simply on the front of a free magazine. What is key is that its free, its not like its a publication which is being sold for money where they would be profiting from the use of your image to sell it or an article. Thus they don't really need your permission or a signed model release. The issue can come from whether you are advocating or not-advocating a product or service and worse still, whether they were deliberately defaming you. If for example they had painted you in a very bad light in the photo or associated you with some sportive that was the complete opposite of what you are about, you could pursue them for it. The reality is that I think most people would be chuffed to be on a magazine that has gone out to 20,000 people, however the bum note is that you aren't in the event!

As for the Mark Cavendish comparison....
    I doubt you will see his PR team complaining much when he appears in newspapers where people have taken his photo and they have been sold and then used by the newspaper to get people to buy them. Similarly, there is nothing to stop me selling a photo I've taken of him when he is in a public place.

The problem is that Mark is more than just cyclist, he is effectively a brand or company with interests vested in him. If some company that makes eyewear for example tried to associate themselves with his image, you can be sure that Oakley aren't going to be too pleased about that. So with somebody who is a big name, their PR team is going to keep a tight leash over how their image is used, they will also have the legal team to fight anyone who uses it in a way they don't like.

I think overall you handled your letter quite well, it would have been wrong if you had gone in complaining and shouting at them. Hopefully you will get a place, but perhaps it has to go up the chain a bit before the first customer service person who reads your e-mail can do anything.
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    Agree, no one is going to read that far down. Straight into the wacko delete bin.

Suggest you send another shorter email
  • izza
    Received an out of office reply from the lady i question. Will send shorter version to Boris et al this evening.
  • You deffo wont get a place now - it'll take the poor woman a few weeks to read through that - why not just say 'you've used my face, can I have a freebie' :D
    Hmm, now i'd take that in a slightly different context.......
  • izza

True. With complaints like that you need to be concise and straight to the point

I think the reading abilities of the organisers are more advanced than you thought. Here is today's response (with names changed):

Dear Izza

Recognising your plight, we are happy to accommodate your entry in this year’s event.

The Event Director, will liaise around logistics of the entry. Please note that (in keeping with the charitable spirit of the event) you’ll be asked to pay the entry fee to take up the entry. I hope you’re able to enjoy the weekend to the fullest.

Best Wishes

Nice Man
  • markhewitt1978
    Excellent:D All's well that ends well :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Excellent response... Perhaps another email saying 'I've got this mate down in Cornwall who recently fell off his bike and is a bit fed up, can you do owt for him?'
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Nice one

Shows that your email hit the right note
    Fingers crossed for a decent start time!
  • aspender
    aspender Posts: 96
    Nice result. However I prefer the short and to the point reply style to your flowery prose :D
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    Score!
  • Erurainon
    Erurainon Posts: 18
    What a great story and really glad they let you ride. Must have helped that your initial email was jovial rather than stroppy.

Enjoy the day.
  • izza
    Erurainon wrote:
    What a great story and really glad they let you ride. Must have helped that your initial email was jovial rather than stroppy.

Enjoy the day.

I actually received an out of office automated reply for the first office and based on advice here for shortening, sent the following:

HELP!

I note from Ms. Warren’s automated email response that she is out of the office this week. This absence comes at a time when the sarcastic wit of my friends and associates has spread like a computer virus.

As such, I am forwarding the email I sent to her together with two further attachments. These latter items are screenshots of my phone showing the two sample communications I received over last weekend. The comments and humour contained therein are minor but please note the times of these communications (5.45 a.m.). The wife was so stunned at the first email receipt signal, she let out a small shriek and her right knee moved quickly in an outward fashion, thereby connecting with my wedding tackle in a most painful manner. These noises caused by the incessant ribaldry has turned into a source of stress for my wife. I am now receiving regular morning lectures regarding noise pollution and how it’s impact on the quality of sleep and disruption to sleep cycles has been proven to cause heart disease, high blood pressure and even strokes. This is at a time when I should be enjoying the dulcet delights of early morning radio coupled with the delicate flavours of my sugar coated, cornflakes.

To this end, I am writing to update my earlier email and confirm that the current Mrs. Gray is now as desperate as I am that you can find a way to amend the participants list for the London Ride 100 so that I can retire from being the butt of many cyclists’ jokes.

I look forward to confirmation of receipt of this email.

Regards

Izza

Their reply

Dear Izza

Recognising your plight, we are happy to accommodate your entry in this year’s event.

The Event Director, will liaise around logistics of the entry. Please note that (in keeping with the charitable spirit of the event) you’ll be asked to pay the entry fee to take up the entry. I hope you’re able to enjoy the weekend to the fullest.

Best wishes
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Your emails make you sound a bit mental. They probably gave you the ticket out of fear you'd turn up in a Batman outfit on the top of the finish line gantry!
  • izza
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Your emails make you sound a bit mental. They probably gave you the ticket out of fear you'd turn up in a Batman outfit on the top of the finish line gantry!

Now there's an idea.................
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Brilliant - made up for you. Now if you can get in a bunch of handsome riders and get your pic taken at the front this could be a never ending process and you'd have a ride for life. Enjoy the day. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • izza
    EPILOGUE

I know in cycling we are more used to prologues but the following amused me.

I finished the Ride London and had a great time. I went to meet a friend at the front of Charing Cross train station in order to grab some lunch. At the point where we met, was two volunteers who were giving out the Ride London Guide book to anyone interested. They had been doing this job all day and thus on seeing me in the outfit used on the cover squealed in full British humour, "It's you, it's you!"

Reciprocating this humour I duly raised hands and acted coy as if admitting to my famous persona and offered to sign the girls' guide books. They accepted and I duly autogrphed their books.

What we hadn't noticed, was 5 yards to our side was a group of US tourists, who overheard us and duly rushed up wanting my autograph guessing I must be famous or a pro! I duly signed all of their guide books and they thanked me and went off quite chuffed that they had a special, limited edition of the guide book.

At this point I should admit that my autograph is completely illegible and you could not guess my name or its spelling from my autograph. As such, there is a group of tourists who will proudly take their guide books back to the States and probably waste a few hours of their lives trying to use Wikipedia and google to see who I am and which team I cycle for - I wish them well.