Guildford to London commute, advice?

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I've taken the plunge, got myself facilities at work to store the bike and change etc and plan to cycle into work occasionally starting next week. The Route is 35-37 miles each way e.g. [updated link] http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=573687

Does anyone have advice to ensure I remain safe? High viz clothing and lights are a must I know, but anything else I should consider? What about mixing it will all the other cyclist doing the same route?

I won't be riding the Rourke, the trusty Condor is being used for this just in case it gets squashed.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I would try and mix it up with someone, as when I do on my relatively short commute it helps break it up.

Make sure you eat sufficiently and stay hydrated.

Is it a nice route?
  • drlodge
    Route is mixed...quite rural in the first half up to around Esher, then gets more busy. Must try and have something to eat before I leave I reckon, thanks for that tip.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Not sure I fancy the bit through Kingston ... plus could you take a bit out of the distance with your double back at the top of Richmond Park?
    Another bit you could trim around West Horsley - go up East Lane then on to the Drift?

I'll leave the staying safe bit to the Town commute experts - mines all in country roads & lanes ... I don't get to see many other cyclists either :(
  • drlodge
    Slowbike wrote:
    Not sure I fancy the bit through Kingston ... plus could you take a bit out of the distance with your double back at the top of Richmond Park?
    Another bit you could trim around West Horsley - go up East Lane then on to the Drift?

I'll leave the staying safe bit to the Town commute experts - mines all in country roads & lanes ... I don't get to see many other cyclists either :(

Good spot through Horsely, will go down East Lane/The Drift and pass my sisters house!

The way through Richard Park is wrong, should go down Priory Lane so have to amend that.
    Find me on Strava
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Hi

My commute is from Woking. If you search on bikely.com for "woking chancery lane commute" this may give a few ideas.

A couple of thoughts:

- Through the centre of Kingston is best, even though it is strictly not allowed. Cycle path on the right side of bridge, then straight on along the main shopping street, left at end, across by the falling down phone boxes, straight on and you rejoin the main road

- An alternative through the park is not to turn right up the hill but continue on for a bit and then right, past White Lodge, then down to the same gate. Quieter and you get to see more of the deer.

- From Kings Road, better in my view to continue along New Kings Road, Sloane Square, Buck Palace, The Mall, Strand, etc

- I'm sure there's a nicer route to Hampton Court than the 307. The way I go from Woking takes you a bit far west, but worth looking at linking up a series of quieter roads that are probably just as quick

- In winter Richmond Park may be closed, in which case Kingston Hill and down to Putney from Tibbet's corner are fine, the A3 in between less so

I'll keep quiet on the subject of hi-viz, helmets, etc, but I would say it's worth getting some good sunglasses since it's direct into the sun both ways (when it's not dark all the time of course).

The prevailing wind is with you in the morning.

If you find it a bit much both ways, especially in winter, I don't find SW Trains are that strict on the after 19.00 for cycles rule, as long as you're polite.

As for eating, I go through phases of having breakfast before or when I get there. A compromise is often a small bowl of chocolate and macadamia nut granola. Plenty of water, though.
  • ETreeson
    ETreeson Posts: 88
    Have you considered going Guildford>Woking>Weybridge>Walton>Molesey? Once you get to Weybridge you can just follow the Thames all the way to Kingston. Nice ride and the roads are still good from the Olympics last year (part of the route).
  • rak999
    rak999 Posts: 1
    I've started occasionally doing a very similar route one-way London->Guildford (Boxgrove) on a Dahon. (Don't fancy trying a day's work after a 33 mile ride.)

Only real difference is that from Cobham I take Ockham Lane to Ockham, then to Ripley from where there's a decent cycle path beside (but not on) the A3 to Burpham. I prefer this to the A246/A25 route.

Overall I find the route surprisingly enjoyable, with stretches along the embankments and through Richmond park. Only bit I really dislike is the A309 crossing just before Esher.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    With respect to Kingston I'd continue up the High Street, though the bus stops on Clarence Street, along the Cycle Path on Horse Fair and then over the road and up Skern Road, then Skerne Walk. From there just follow Lower Kings Road and Kings Road to Richmond Park.

I ride that way every day.

Rest of the route looks fine. Most cyclists to the City from Surrey go the Embankment route. It's longer, but it's quicker.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Basically I think the commute is too far & counter productive. Never known anyone who cycles 35 miles each way (other than one off) & holds down the job. Heck, that has to be near on professionals training. Anyway, hats off & good luck if you can manage that even twice a week - 7-10 miles each way fine by me, but interested to hear of what distances other people regularly do to get to work.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    At the moment I do 16 miles each way but I used to do 25 miles each way. I was shattered all the time and ate like a horse all the time.

I also found that I didn't ride at the weekend because I was too tired.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    I commuted from Chertsey to Holborn Circus, just over 25 miles each way. I once tried 4 days a week, and on the way home on the 4th day I got the train from Mortlake to Sheperton, after a quick beer in the excellent White Hart on the river, I was truly shattered. I am sure i would have got used to the miles eventually but am sure the enjoyment of cycling would suffer.

As a daily commute after a tough days work it was too much for me. In the end I settled for two days a week which i enjoyed much more and still had the appetite for a ride at the weekend. I do like riding in central London and once did a stint (just over a week) between jobs as a Cycle courier in the mid 80's. I was so tired at the end of every day i barely had the energy to eat.
  • rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Basically I think the commute is too far & counter productive. Never known anyone who cycles 35 miles each way (other than one off) & holds down the job. Heck, that has to be near on professionals training. Anyway, hats off & good luck if you can manage that even twice a week - 7-10 miles each way fine by me, but interested to hear of what distances other people regularly do to get to work.

The OP says cycle in 'occasionally'. Agree that no-one could commute 35 miles each way daily and hold down a job. Pretty much impossible. But one leg journeys here and there, absolutely. I live in Bucks and try to ride into London once a week, 38 miles one way. Never do the return journey in a single day though - no chance either with time or energy.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    +1

From Woking to Holborn and back every day isn't something I can do at 53 with 3 kids. If I was younger and single then it may be different.

But one way twice a week (train back) plus one return journey (on a Friday) is fine. Still enough over for a run a couple of times a week.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    For a few years now I've ridden into central London from north Kent, 33-40 miles each way depending on where I've lived and the exact route. In theory it's once a week, in practice this year only a couple of times so far. I never eat before setting out, rarely eat between lunchtime and the return journey. Probably if I went hell-for-leather I would need food en route.

The most I've ever managed was three return journeys in one week and by the end I was shattered. It's not only the exertion, it's the long days, leaving the house at 5.30 and getting home at 8.30. Even if I get the train back I have to wait till after rush hour so I'm often home earlier by riding.

I can't say I particularly enjoy the commute itself as a whole, although there are always some pleasing moments. There's great satisfaction to be had from arriving at work under your own steam and I've found it a very good way to get miles in my legs - if I ride both ways, 4-5 hours' training for a net cost of only 1-2 hours out of my day. All in all, recommended.
  • drlodge
    Thanks for al the interest and responses.
    Hi

My commute is from Woking. If you search on bikely.com for "woking chancery lane commute" this may give a few ideas.

I've done the commute three times now, twice on a Thursday when I go from my girlfriend's house in Knaphill (Woking). Hence I go a different route - through Byfleet, Brooklands, Weybridge, Hampton Court.
    A couple of thoughts:

- Through the centre of Kingston is best, even though it is strictly not allowed. Cycle path on the right side of bridge, then straight on along the main shopping street, left at end, across by the falling down phone boxes, straight on and you rejoin the main road

Might try that although I find the existing routes ok.
    - An alternative through the park is not to turn right up the hill but continue on for a bit and then right, past White Lodge, then down to the same gate. Quieter and you get to see more of the deer.

Good idea, will defo give that a try, looks like it misses out the steep hilly bits which I can do without!
    - From Kings Road, better in my view to continue along New Kings Road, Sloane Square, Buck Palace, The Mall, Strand, etc

Will give that a try too! Certainly seems more direct.
    - I'm sure there's a nicer route to Hampton Court than the 307. The way I go from Woking takes you a bit far west, but worth looking at linking up a series of quieter roads that are probably just as quick

The A307 takes me from Cobham to Kingston, I don't go via Hampton Court if going from Guildford but will look up that bikely link
    - In winter Richmond Park may be closed, in which case Kingston Hill and down to Putney from Tibbet's corner are fine, the A3 in between less so

Thanks for the heads up. I reckon if Richmond Park is closed I might not cycle, depends how much it is closed.
    I'll keep quiet on the subject of hi-viz, helmets, etc, but I would say it's worth getting some good sunglasses since it's direct into the sun both ways (when it's not dark all the time of course).

Yeh, I wear glasses always.
    The prevailing wind is with you in the morning.

Which I guess is why the return leg always seems longer...
    If you find it a bit much both ways, especially in winter, I don't find SW Trains are that strict on the after 19.00 for cycles rule, as long as you're polite.

Oh I hate people who want to take their bikes on the train :x I'll only cycle if I feel like it, and once a week so I can pick the day.
    As for eating, I go through phases of having breakfast before or when I get there. A compromise is often a small bowl of chocolate and macadamia nut granola. Plenty of water, though.

Been having some porridge before I leave, and another when I get in. Seems to work.

I did do the route twice in the first week and was eating like a horse, and knackered. I think once a week is enough!
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    ETreeson wrote:
    Have you considered going Guildford>Woking>Weybridge>Walton>Molesey? Once you get to Weybridge you can just follow the Thames all the way to Kingston. Nice ride and the roads are still good from the Olympics last year (part of the route).

Yes I do that route if going from Knaphill (Thursdays). Its a bit too much a of a detour if going from Guildford.
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    rickyrider wrote:
    Basically I think the commute is too far & counter productive. Never known anyone who cycles 35 miles each way (other than one off) & holds down the job. Heck, that has to be near on professionals training. Anyway, hats off & good luck if you can manage that even twice a week - 7-10 miles each way fine by me, but interested to hear of what distances other people regularly do to get to work.

The OP says cycle in 'occasionally'. Agree that no-one could commute 35 miles each way daily and hold down a job. Pretty much impossible. But one leg journeys here and there, absolutely. I live in Bucks and try to ride into London once a week, 38 miles one way. Never do the return journey in a single day though - no chance either with time or energy.

The plan is to do the return journey once a week. That's in place of 2 weekday (evening) training rides so with that and a Sunday run, that's me done.
    Find me on Strava