Tour de France TV commentary funnies

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited July 2013 in Pro race
A bit late to get started, can't see a thread anywhere else, so how about posting your best/ worst TV commentary quotes from this year's Tour? I'll get he ball rolling with Carlton Kirby in the final few Kms of yesterday's Stage 5 sprint on Eurosport;

"There is Griepel, right now, dead centre, err, err, looking like the basking shark that he is!" :roll:

PP

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Carlton Kirby: "The Mediterranean Shag, rarer than you'd think"
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Carlton Kirby: "The Mediterranean Shag, rarer than you'd think"
    Didn't Phil and Paul make a 'Mediterranean Shag' joke as well? Paul mentioned it and you could just hear Phil sniggering in the background.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Not commentary but the fan getting knocked over is quite funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaXyLbeqE54
  • three boats making '100' with their wake

Kirby: Look at those boats making a bike

Kelly: Or it could be 100

Kirby: Yes. Yes it is 100
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Carlton: Those bales spell looeme, I don't know what that means, my French is obviously a bit rusty.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    You should listen to the Swedish Eurosport commentators - pure comedy. Although most of it (read: all of it) is cringeworthy and just poor commentary...but the stuff they say is utterly laughable and quite ridiculous!
  • pilot_pete
    jasonbrim wrote:
    You should listen to the Swedish Eurosport commentators - pure comedy. Although most of it (read: all of it) is cringeworthy and just poor commentary...but the stuff they say is utterly laughable and quite ridiculous!
    The only Sweedish I know is 'tak', would this be a hindrance? :lol:

PP
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    jasonbrim wrote:
    The only Sweedish I know is 'tak', would this be a hindrance? :lol:

PP
    That would most likely be "tack". But they chat so much rubbish so it often isn't worth listening and gets more annoying than helpful :x

One of my favourite things was during the Vuelta Ciclista al País Vasco, when a rider got a new rear wheel from a mechanic that had clearly jumped out of the first car as the roads into the town they were entering were quite narrow:
    "Dear God, where did he come from with a back wheel...in the middle of nowhere...in this little village...with like 10 inhabitants..." (Then a bit of confusion and silence before they suddenly switch subject.)

Just a rough translation that doesn't do it justice. His voice as well, was great - he was so excited by this seemingly random man that was just waiting in the middle of a field with a spare rear wheel! :lol:
  • pilot_pete
    I lied,

Svenska flicka....no doubt spelt incorrectly again! :wink:

PP
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I have to say that I've warmed a bit to Carlton. There is a good rapport between him and Sean and they have a laugh and a joke; he doesn't mind when Sean corrects him and even laughs at himself when he realises he's made a mistake.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    I'm mainly enjoying the freeview EPG descriptions of the ITV4 highlights show at the moment. 1st one I noticed was "contains swearing and violent scenes", then 2 days ago it was "swearing and scenes of a sexual nature". Today it's the full monty, "contains violent acts, strong language, distressing scenes and sexual...", can't seem to find how that sentence ends though. On the plus side there haven't been any scenes of drug use as yet :)