garmin 500 and strava

skinnydog1973
skinnydog1973 Posts: 114
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi i am going to buy one of these today when i go on my ride do i just use this and then when i get home transfer the data onto strava cheers

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Yes you can upload data from the 500 directly to Strava.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    You have to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin (OS X or Windows) then as above.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    You won't regret it... My best friend after my bike
  • haf1zur
    haf1zur Posts: 124
    Been using one for 3 weeks now, as Mikey, best friends with it
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    I couldnt believe how easy it was to upload to Strava straight from my garmin. thought it would be a right faff!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • TimInno
    TimInno Posts: 46
    How reliable have you all found the Garmin 500? There always seem to be threads on here about GPS signal issues or problems connecting to PCs? They don't sound that reliable?
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    Very reliable I'd say.

There's even 3rd-party Linux plugin so that you are not limited to Windows/OSX.
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    TimInno wrote:
    How reliable have you all found the Garmin 500? There always seem to be threads on here about GPS signal issues or problems connecting to PCs? They don't sound that reliable?
    For the very few who post up with problems, there are many thousands who don't post up about how good they are, one of the problems with the internet, it can create a false impression
  • TimInno
    TimInno Posts: 46
    Cheers! Shall get saving for one.
  • Mikey23
    Mine has been absolutely spot in the 15 months I have had it. Quite easy to set up the way I want it and it has been a constant companion over about 7000 miles now...
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The plugin is slow. It's far quicker to select "From File" in the Strava upload page and browse to the Activities folder on the Garmin.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    2 issues. The course breadcrumb trail keeps disappearing which is very annoying and the elevation trace looks like you've been climbing stairs!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • hangeron
    hangeron Posts: 127
    bikingjohn wrote:
    Very reliable I'd say.

Ooo

I went googling for one about this time last year but couldn't find one.

Google now tells me about this

http://www.andreas-diesner.de/garminplu ... p?id=start

is that the one?
  • bikingjohn
    bikingjohn Posts: 202
    hangeron wrote:
    bikingjohn wrote:
    Very reliable I'd say.

Ooo

I went googling for one about this time last year but couldn't find one.

Google now tells me about this

http://www.andreas-diesner.de/garminplu ... p?id=start

is that the one?
    Yes. I use that to gain upload to Strava capability on Ubuntu 12.04 (both Chrome and Firefox work with it).
    2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
    http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    bought one last week, fitted and then uploaded software 3.2 and bang! Nothing, completly froze. Living in Southampton I actually took it too Garmin's offices, they checked it out whilst I waited and my unit is knacked - they are sending me a new one.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    bobones wrote:
    The plugin is slow. It's far quicker to select "From File" in the Strava upload page and browse to the Activities folder on the Garmin.
    Have you tried emptying your "Garmin\Activities" folder. The plugin presents a list of all the Activities on the device to the web site which then has to decide which ones it has seen before. That could be slowing down your upload. Mine is really quick using the plugin - but then I keep my "Activities" folder pretty empty.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    How many rides can you store on it before you need to do an upload to clear the memory?
  • Gizmodo
    BigMonka wrote:
    How many rides can you store on it before you need to do an upload to clear the memory?
    How long is a piece of string? You can store activities until you run out of memory on the device, the number depends on the duration of each activity and the frequency of data points. But do you want to risk running out of memory mid ride? Certainly "a lot".
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I've just read that the Garmin 200 will record 130hours of riding (which presumably can be pretty much as many rides as you like within that time), the 500 is probably the same.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Takes ages to upload to strava if you have loads of old rides on my Edge 500.

It is brilliant though, have used it nearly every day over last year and not really had any issues.

The GSC10 speed/cadence sensor is a tempermental bastard though...
  • Mikey23
    Aah, was thinking of getting one of those with my birthday cash...
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    Would be interested to hear more about the main motivations to switch from Strava mobile to a garmin.

There are incremental gains to accuracy, battery life's also a plus, but neither factor affect me much these days. Is there more to it?

I appreciate that Garmins also make HRMs easier (though android can do those too) and also cadence sensors, but they're premium features anyway (which adds more ££ to the equation, and is one more bit of clobber to worry about).
  • Gizmodo
    Shtukka wrote:
    Would be interested to hear more about the main motivations to switch from Strava mobile to a garmin.

There are incremental gains to accuracy, battery life's also a plus, but neither factor affect me much these days. Is there more to it?

I appreciate that Garmins also make HRMs easier (though android can do those too) and also cadence sensors, but they're premium features anyway (which adds more ££ to the equation, and is one more bit of clobber to worry about).
    Covered so many times before, see -
    Garmin vs. Phone,
    iPhone vs cycle computer,
    Garmin vs Mobile Phone vs usefulness

Search is your friend
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    thanks Giz.