Rock shox xc32 changing damper?

Paulfocus
Paulfocus Posts: 70
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone,

I've got a little question I'm hoping someone can answer for me?

As you will know I've got some rock shox xc32 tk which are abit too soft for me and I've heard you can swap the damping units for this: RockShox Compression Damper Assy Argyle MoCo w/Internal Gate?

Does anyone know if they do fit my forks? And if so is it a straight swap or is there abit of modding needed?

I know there not the best forks to start off with but with a baby on the way in 6 months time I can't afford to be buying new forks and just want my xc32's to perform abit better to keep me going for longer!!

Thanks in advance
Paul

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is too soft you need a harder spring.

damping controls the speed the fork can move.

what year fork is it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    If you have the Solo Air model then put more air in the fork.

If you have the Spring model:

Coil Springs Selection.
    http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/rockshox_suspension_fork_coil_spring_chart_gen_0000000004149_rev_c.pdf

Look up the part number for the spring in the Spare Parts Catalog.
    http://cdn.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/2013_rockshox_spc_rev_b.pdf

Put the Part Number in to the search box at: http://www.petracycles.co.uk/
  • Paulfocus
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replys.

The forks are 2011 or 2012's can't remember of the top of my head. Someone on another forum what I found said changing the spring was a waste of time and the damper was the better way to go and he had Tara forks I think?

When I ordered a service kit for mine the kit said Tara and xc32's some I'm guessing the insides are all the same. I'm just wanting to get it right first time then buying a spring and finding out its still no better but I will look
    Into the springs. I'm pretty sure it's a medium spring what's in mine at the minute.

I am very grateful for the advise tho
    Thanks
    Paul
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He was wrong. And I think you mean Tora.
    Guessing is always dangerous though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Someone was a moron.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Paulfocus
    Cheers guys are the advise. Think ill stick with what your saying and get a Blue/turn spring ordered.
  • nicklouse
    OK lrts go back to the start.

how much sag are you getting in normal riding position(standing)
    and what are you wanting to control? IE what is happening that you dont like?

lets work through it BEFORE you spend any cash.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Paulfocus
    Hi,

Right the setting on the spring side is set as hard as it goes,

The forks were fine when I first bought them then after eight months they started been really soft and it was bottoming out and also when they compress it sounds like air coming out of the forks!!!!
    So I bought a service kit with all the correct oils and me and my mate set about stripping them and rebuilding them. After that they were fine for 2-3 months then they started playing up again, I had a play about with the oil levels in the damper side and found too much oil made them rock hard with no travel in them and its a really fine line between having no travel and having too much.

So I had a look at the Internet and someone was having the same problem as me and he was told to put this different, better damper unit in them and was told the springs were a waste of time?!?!????? This person did that and said it was better?!

After posting in here I've been looking at the weight/spring guide and according to that I do need a firmer spring.
    Also when I first got the forks I did weigh abit less then now.
    The damper what was suggested by this other bloke does look better then what's in them now but £64 it's a big sum of money for something what might not fit and also might not work!?
  • nicklouse
    ok so how much sag are you getting?
  • Paulfocus
    Oh ye there coil forks not air
  • Paulfocus
    To be honest I've never really took notice but its got to be at least quarter of the travel!!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Got to be is meaningless, measure it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.