Cofidis?

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited July 2013 in Pro race
Heard Carlton Kirby having a bit of a rant yesterday about their inclusion as a wildcard team. I have to say I tend to agree with him, they have been completely anonymous so far, to the extent that I had to actually check they were in it. They do not seem to have anyone who is in the mix for any of the jerseys or even a stage win. I think most of the other teams have represented in some way already either by getting into a break or even just setting the pace at some point in the race. It's early days I know, but surely there must be a more deserving team somewhere. They seem to bring very little to the party, not just this year but in previous years too. Apart from Millar and Wiggins, Moncoutie is the only rider in recent years who springs to mind as an identifiable face in the Cofidis jersey but even he is missing this year. Taramae looks to be heading for another underachievement medal this year as well after being hailed as the next big thing for a few tours now.

Harsh? Fair?

PS - they do have arguably the nicest bikes though, I'll give them that 8)
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    Crescent wrote:
    Heard Carlton Kirby having a bit of a rant yesterday about their inclusion as a wildcard team. I have to say I tend to agree with him, they have been completely anonymous so far, to the extent that I had to actually check they were in it. They do not seem to have anyone who is in the mix for any of the jerseys or even a stage win. I think most of the other teams have represented in some way already either by getting into a break or even just setting the pace at some point in the race. It's early days I know, but surely there must be a more deserving team somewhere. They seem to bring very little to the party, not just this year but in previous years too. Apart from Millar and Wiggins, Moncoutie is the only rider in recent years who springs to mind as an identifiable face in the Cofidis jersey but even he is missing this year. Taramae looks to be heading for another underachievement medal this year as well after being hailed as the next big thing for a few tours now.

Harsh? Fair?

PS - they do have arguably the nicest bikes though, I'll give them that 8)
    Fair. It is an absolute disgrace that Bretagne-Séché Environnement weren't chosen instead.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    Genuinely don't think I've seen a Cofidis jersey yet on my TV, the only team jersey I haven't seen - quite an acheivement in a strange way really!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They're utter bobbins. A monument to the complacency and lack of ambition frequently present in French cycling. As the saying goes, the only certainties in life are death, taxes and Cofidis getting a wildcard.

It's a cosy relationship. They always get a wildcard no matter how bad they are, so the sponsor always renews (chucking a bit towards French cycling too) and the riders don't have to try to hard.

There's only four French riders in the team anyway. And so far their best stage finish is 16th, they have no green or KOM points and they haven't been in a single break. At least Sojasun are giving it a go.

They may prove me wrong and win a stage, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Genuinely don't think I've seen a Cofidis jersey yet on my TV, the only team jersey I haven't seen - quite an acheivement in a strange way really!
    Likewise I haven't either but it took CK to highlight the fact before I realized.

Like in footy, if they're not performing then natural evolution dictates they should be replaced by a better, up and coming replacement team.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    First time I saw a Cofidis jersey in this year's tour was in yesterday's crash when one of the riders was picking himself up off the road.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Genuinely didn't know they were racing, I mean, attending, well, in the general area until I read this post
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I just checked the Velogames fantasy league totals and not a single point has been scored by Cofidis yet.
    Even AG2R won the combativity award a couple of days ago!
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    only time I have noticed them is seeing tarramae getting dropped on a climb

rubbish team stop inviting them
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    With Le Mevel, Taaramae, Navarro, Coppel being their best riders, surely we should wait for the mountains before writing them off.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Best bikes in the peloton, but would've much preferred seeing young Gerald and the MTN-Qhubeka team in their place.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    They never wanted it though, and seems it's the RCS who're having the MTN love in rather than ASO.

But Cofidis are beyond crap, at least till Taaramae has a couple of decent stages.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Not saying that they'd have been lighting up the race otherwise but I've heard that 8 of them were affected by the crash-tastic stage 1
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like the way they're wearing yellow helmets this year. Maybe they're trying to fool their sponsors into believing they're leading the team category ?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Maté in this break on his own.

Are you not entertained?
  • Richmond Racer
    Turfle wrote:
    Maté in this break on his own.

Are you not entertained?

He he. Gives the peloton a chuckle anyway.

He's been reading BR. And he's up for an echelon of 1
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Obviously inspired by this guy...

wiggocof.jpg?t=1356902673
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Richmond Racer
    Obviously inspired by this guy...

wiggocof.jpg?t=1356902673

Whatever became of him...?
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    We did the pyrenees in last years tour and I was shocked how many Cofidis supporters were out there. They are either all based there or just very visible. They were going potty everytime a Cofidis rider went past while I stood there looking confused as to the excitement of a team who's highest ranked rider was probably in about 120th place!!!
    All the gear and no idea...
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Pathetic that they are not in the breaks. No excuse for that at all other than lazy riders.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Who is this Cofidis we speak of?

On a more serious note - highest placed Cofidis rider last year was Taaramae - he finished 36th

Anybody recall if they had any stage wins?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

On a more serious note - highest placed Cofidis rider last year was Taaramae - he finished 36th

Their last stage win was Sylvain Chavanel in 2008
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    Robert Millar nailed it in his Guardian preview:
    With nobody for the General Classification race and no big sprinter it's difficult to see what Cofidis are going to do. Most of the team will get dragged round France for three weeks and if it wasn't for the bright red kit you wouldn't notice they were there. One of them might sneak a breakaway win but that's crediting them with getting in an escape in the first place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    RichN95 wrote:

Their last stage win was Sylvain Chavanel in 2008

Wow. they really are dismal.
  • whooaaa they signed Coppell from Sojasun. That in itself guarantees a place . And Le Mevel who has had a 10th in the tour and 15 in the Giro - OK he's gone off the boil a bit - but it's their ball and they pick the teams !

Plus they had Moncoutie for all his career
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    I think I saw some Cofidis riders go down in one of the crashes on stage 5.

According to Inrng, they had a lone rider try to get away on yesterdays stage but he was caught before the TV cameras started rolling :D
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Last night I saw them in Lidl buying cycling kit. Too little too late or too Lidl too late!