Raleigh Clubman vs. Ridgeback Voyage

clevelandbarnett
clevelandbarnett Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new bike that I will be using as an allrounder (commuting/cycle tours/exercise etc) and I have narrowed down my choices to a Raleigh Clubman or a Ridgeback Voyage. It woukd be great if someone could give me a reasoned argument as to go for one or the other. It seems to me that the Clubman has better componentary, saddle etc but is described as a lightweight tourer. As a heavy rider i'm looking for something that will stand up to a fair bit of punishment (yes, I will condsider handbuilt wheels) so the Ridgeback seems a good choice from this perspective but with inferior groupset etc. I have no idea whta the frame builds are like but both made from Reynolds 520.

Can anyone vouch for either of these or offer opinions on which is best?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    They're both nice bikes but the Ridgeback is more of a dedicated tourer, with a triple rather than the Clubman's double chainrings.
    It depends how much touring you intend to do and how much weight you want to carry.

Best thing would be to try them both out if poss.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    If you don't mind me asking, how big are you?

Did you consider the Dawes Clubman?
  • Thanks both for replies.

Random man. Your right about chainrings and I have done extensive (obsessive!) reviewing of most parts of each bike. I won't be using the bike primarily for touring, rather for commuting (5 miles with 1-2 panniers of ca. 5-10kg weight) and weekend rides with 2-3 multi-day/week long tours per year thrown in. I guess I looked at tourers, as for me (and many others it seems) they are a good allround bet. Ideally, I would like to know if both of these bikes would fit purpose given my requirements (see below).

CTC. I'm currently ca. 120kg and dropping but I have had plenty of rear wheel issues on an alu frame road bike. Therefore, regardless of which bike I go for I will be looking to get a custom wheelset (Mavic A719/Open pro.. Sapim strong spokes..105/Tiagra hub etc). I didn't consider the Dawes clubman but at a glance it seems like a slightly lower spec equivalent of the Raleigh Clubman, is that a fair comment? The main thing that concerns me about both Clubmen is the description as 'Audax/Light tourer'. Given my size I don't want to be ruining a frame but are these descriptions related more to the fact they are not dedicated tourers but can be used for touring? Or, are they less durable than a tourer? I'm not looking to do an around the world tour, so perhaps a tourer is overkill?
  • ctc
    Hi CleverandBarnett

Light tourer audax is usually for bikes that have a more relaxed geometry than an all out racer, and also have fittings for mudguards and rack. They will not be designed to handle a lot of luggage on both front and back panniers like a full on tourer would, but they will be lighter and nimbler. Basically they are inbetween a tourer and a racer.
    If you are looking at commuting and a bit of light touring they would be fine

The Dawes is lower spec than the Raleigh, but it is cheaper. You'd probably want to compare the next Dawes model up, the Century SE. Having a quick look at the specs the main difference you would probably notice would be one is a compact chainset (Raleigh) and the other is a triple (Dawes). If you're carrying some load a triple is the more usual type to have, but really it would just come down to preference

As said above - best thing would be to take both out and see which you prefer!
  • Thanks again for the response. I did have a look at the Century SE when you mentioned the Clubman, looks like a good option too. I will be trying each bike but obviosuly this will take some time so the fewer options the better! For example, would a London-Paris ride over a few days with two panniers worth of gear be classed as 'light touring' or proper touring? As I said, i'm not looking to get around the world. When you mentioned more relaxed geometry, does this relate to the wheelbase being longer/wider tyres etc? I guess this effect would be greater on a full touring bike?
  • ctc
    If you are mostly commuting with a bit of touring, then light tourer would be fine. they would be able to carry a couple of panniers.

I like the audax geometry. I use mine for commuting, and am going to do some credit card touring on it this year (change of clothes etc. but no tent and sleeping bag). With the full mudguards it also doubles as my winter bike. Its not as light or as nimble as my racier bike, but I still enjoy riding it, and it's not that much slower. To me it's a really good all rounder.
    It's got more relaxed angle on the seat and head tubes, and a slightly longer wheelbase. You're right, on a tourer these would be even more pronounced, and usually tourers would have wider tyres than those on a light tourer
  • Some good information thanks. CTC, do you have a Dawes clubman? I think I will probably go for the raleigh, get some hand built wheels. I just need to make sure there is enough heel clearance for my size 10s once the panniers are on, I have has this problem before!
  • heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    if you are going to buy a whole bike and then get new wheels have a look at hewitts for options there - Paul Hewitt is worth the trip and his wheels are legendary
  • Thanks all for advice. I will take a look at Hewitt wheels, I also contacted Harry Rowland, heard some very positive things about his wheels.