Autumn/Winter gear - Hoping to get a few items in the sales

claddo
claddo Posts: 27
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Hi folks. New on here and impressed with the invaluable exchanges I have been reading...
May be I haven't scrolled back far enough, but I am hoping to take advantage of some small discounts on some autumn/winter wear. Specifically any insights on good purchases for legs/shoes

On top:
I'm fine here and cross over with my hiking/outdoor/training gear. I have a Marmot Paceline jacket (beautiful!) for almost all year round, and a Millet Cosmic GTX which got far too much use over the last miserable months

On the bottom:
I've just been suffering and taking a change in my pack basically!! :roll: Any help welcome:

Thinking of getting the following:
- Tights/Waterproof tights
- Some Altura semi-dry shorts (I'm just not ready to go full leg lycra!! :oops: )
- Some sealskins waterproof socks
- Waterproof trousers....? (I'm thinking Im happy just charging through with the tight/short combo. I don't do any day trips in the rain)

For shoes; I haven't gone full SPD yet, and probably won't because I use my bike all the time to get around, even when in casual gear...

- Does anyone have any tips or good experiences with trail running shoes, possibly in GoreTex for biking?

I'm based in Paris and have ridden almost every day in 2013, so not sure why this took me so long. Any experiences that would make upcoming seasons more pleasant much appreciated! :D

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I picked up some Endura overshoes, they do a really good job of keeping my feet dry, no reason not to use them over regular shoes.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • claddo
    claddo Posts: 27
    Thanks, hadn't really considered overshoes.
    Did a little more digging on the site for kit recommendations:
    - Commuting during winter months: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12896256
    - Lower Half: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12892875
    - Waterproof trousers: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12881806

Any online sales spots still appreciated
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    If you are not riding clipped, waterproof shoes are good however water may still ride down your legs into the shoes.

Personally I find roubaix leg warmers/ tights sufficient and relatively waterproof (well for about an hour's commute). If your have goretex boots and long enough tights/ legwarmers you can put them over your boots to stop water going into the shoes.

Also not sure how you carry stuff but a pannier or saddle bag would be invaluable, I know because I changed from a rucksack.

Finally, try getting some full lenght mudguards for your bike as it helps cut down the spray up your back and on your shoes (if the front m/guard) is long enough.
  • The sealskin socks are very good, if your shoes are not totally waterproof. Even if you dont always use them for cycling you can use them when walking or camping etc.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm wondering what to do for winter regarding the bike.

Options, in descending cost order are:

Buy a second hand or entry level £400-600 26" MTB and go trail riding instead of sticking to the roads, move the commute back onto off road paths, use existing Snow Studs.

Get some 26" MTB wheels for winter and stick them on the Secteur with Snow Studs when it's icy.

Get marathon winters or similar spiked rubber for the Secteur

Get some cross tyres and go cross racing to get used to having no traction on a road bike.

Borrow my sons MTB for the winter and get an extra long seatpost so I can ride it comfortably.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.