bg13 Posts: 4,598
    Didn't stand a chance! R.I.P.
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Indeed, RIP to you both and condolences to your nearest and dearest. The images of the bike parts in that video clip are really upsetting, don't watch it. I wish I hadn't. Horrible, horrible story.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Terrible tragedy, can't imagine how the families are coping. Their original fundraising page for the ride is here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=mcmenigallwallace&isTeam=true

Chapeau to the pair of them. RIP

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Absolutely awful.

RIP.
    Misguided Idealist
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Koncordski wrote:
    Terrible tragedy, can't imagine how the families are coping. Their original fundraising page for the ride is here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=mcmenigallwallace&isTeam=true

Chapeau to the pair of them. RIP

It would be good if lots of cyclists donated to their charity, as a show of strength. I am sure it would help the families, if only a little bit, to know that people are thinking of them.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    wandsworth wrote:
    It would be good if lots of cyclists donated to their charity, as a show of strength. I am sure it would help the families, if only a little bit, to know that people are thinking of them.

+1
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I know this was last month, but I hadn't appreciated the outcome of this - the lorry driver fell asleep. Has been jailed for 8½ years. Weeks after killing the cyclists, he'd ploughed into the back of another vehicle!!

http://news.stv.tv/east-central/290460- ... y-wallace/
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I would think there's possibly a case to be brought against his employers too. They would've known he was working for them during the day and then driving through the night.

I can only think of one reason for the drivers behaviour - money - why else would someone try to work that many hours with no sleep? It's certainly not something you would do out of choice.
  • This is beyond disgusting. Likely out in 4 years for killing two people?? Hardly a punishment or deterrent.

Well at least he's said he's sorry and said he's unlikely to drive professionally again. I'm sure Toby and Andrew's widows will sleep soundly knowing that!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    At least he got a 10 year driving ban, although I think there should be life bans in these cases. 8.5 years in prison is pretty serious, I guess he may get out early but even so I wouldn't want 8.5 weeks inside so 4 years is a long time. Agree his employer should be targeted, they must have known he was working days and driving nights and probably also that he was texting (them?) habitually whilst driving.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I made the mistake of reading the Daily Mail report on this. I would strongly recommend no one else does. The comments section is just.... wrong.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    This is beyond disgusting. Likely out in 4 years for killing two people?? Hardly a punishment or deterrent.

Well at least he's said he's sorry and said he's unlikely to drive professionally again. I'm sure Toby and Andrew's widows will sleep soundly knowing that!

I don't condone his actions in the slightest - 8 years inside (out earlier on parole) and a 10 year driving ban with an advanced test at the end of it (I assume to come into effect when he's released) and he admitted death by dangerous driving.
    What would you prefer? What's the goal? What's the magic figure?

I'm not so interested in the prison sentence - whilst that is punishment it'll also give him time to reflect on the outcome of his actions - I'm interested in the driving ban. 10 years is a good length of ban - although this will obviously effect his ability to earn (as a driver) I think that's reasonable given his choice to drive and text whilst tired. Of course, we don't know the circumstances behind his choice.
    He now has the opportunity to re-evaluate his life and how he'll earn money in the future - I hope he will be able to continue working - even as vehicle maintenance - and be a contributor to society.

I would share your disgust if the driver had pleaded his innocence - without admission of guilt there can be no remorse.

Whatever happens to the driver, nothing will replace the 2 cyclists killed.