Holdsworth Stelvio

stellaboy
stellaboy Posts: 106
edited January 2014 in Your road bikes
My Holdsworth Stelvio (Large). I built it to do the ASO Paris Roubaix Challenge back in March (hence the custom top tube decal my friend made listing all the secteurs). Rode really nice, thought the wheels might be a bit fragile but they are still arrow straight amazingly!!! No punctures or mechanicals. Really hard day out but loved it. (Not enough to ride the event again though, it was frikkin' brutal even in dry dusty conditions)!

DerbyshireDales-20130303-00101_zps21c4ee75.jpg

DerbyshireDales-20130303-00099_zpsb958d8c8.jpg

DerbyshireDales-20130303-00098_zps80fcebfe.jpg

DerbyshireDales-20130303-00097_zps67d4e18c.jpg

Frame: Holdsworth Stelvio carbon
Forks: Carbon
Bars: Pro PLT 44cm
Stem: Pro PLT 11cm
Headset: FSA Orbit
Bar Tape: Pro

Front Brake Lever: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Front Caliper: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Rear Brake Lever: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Rear Caliper: Shimano Ultegra 6700

Shifters: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Cables: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Front Mech: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Rear Mech: Shimano Ultegra 6700

Seat: Fizik Areone CX Kium rails (Looking to swap for a black/grey or black/black version of the same saddle?)
Seat Post: Pro PLT
Seat Post Clamp: Holdsworth

Cranks: Shimano Ultegra 6700 172.5mm
Chainring(s): Shimano Ultegra 6700
Chain: KMC X10 Gold
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700 (12-25)
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra 6700 Carbon
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra 6700

Front Wheel: Shimano RS80 C24
Tube: Schwalbe Ultralight
Tire: Vittoria Pave

Back Wheel: Shimano RS80 C24
Tube: Schwalbe Ultralight
Tire: Vittoria Pave

Weight: 8 kg (ish)
Some days you're the statue, other days you are the pigeon.

Comments

• galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    When I saw the title I thought I'd have look given most Holdsworths I've seen had rather garish paintjobs and thought they were awful.
    And then I was very pleasantly surprised.
    I really like it, the greys, black and silver work really well and the Ultegra grey works great.
    You've even got the grey bar tape working, it's so easy to use something other than black or white and it look wrong.
    Nice work
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nice - looks like a really good job. My very first road bike was a Holdsworth and I've always been tempted by one of these frames...
  • very nice colours. my mate has just got the firenze in blue and he loves it
  • That's really nice mate, and u don't see many on here!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • stellaboy
    Cheers guys, I nearly went with the red black and yellow scheme but glad I stuck with this really. The saddle is bugging the hell out of me, I've seen a black Areone with a grey stripe which I know would finish it off a treat but just can't bring myself to stump up the cash for it just yet. The grey tape is ace, it's the silver car of the handlebar tape world, it doesn't show the grubbiness at all which is a real bonus!

Here is a pic of it in full flight bouncing over the pave.

14975407_zps9edad8ff.jpg

Here is another pic of it at the Rutland CICLE classic with Hope carbons in. The reflection is caused by a rare phenomenon in the UK called sunshine.

2013-04-20150529_zps3b2d4202.jpg

And in Tri mode at Grantham Sprint Tri.

_DJM2728-ZF-4127-80202-1-0031_zps2c9f03b3.jpg
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I took a look at the website after looking at your thread. Not bad. I don't think the bikes would be large enough for me and I'm surprised that they don't offer a team Orange/blue paint job (unless I missed it). Chapeau for having something different1
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Very nice. Definitely a classy paintjob. Grey tape does seem sensible too.

Doesn't look that big for a large - how tall are you?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Funny, I too was expecting the worst - some over-priced made in China 631 frame that cost £2.5k with a eye-bleeding paint job - but that bike is really nice.

Love the saddle-bar drop, love the white saddle setting off the white seat cluster decal, love that you rode Roubaix on her.

Stem could be a bit more slammified but at least she's not an up-turned shorty like Nicole Kidman before her snout-job.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • stellaboy
    k-dog wrote:
    Doesn't look that big for a large - how tall are you?

5'11" with a 32" inside leg. Stem could maybe just do to be 1cm longer sometimes but it's about there.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    The "Large" one of this is actually a 57cm which I would still call a medium, just.

Weight is listed as "Approx 1000g" but come on, what does the L frame really weigh with fork?

1400g? 1600g?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
  • Yeah.......that looks well. Like it..........
    Could do with being a bit lighter than 8Kg's though imo. :roll:
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Does anyone know what the frame and fork weigh in a size L?

What is supposed to be 1000g? The frame alone I guess, but doesn't say if thats S/M/L
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    lovely bike
  • stellaboy
    Manc 33,I have just weighed a medium frame and fork for you and it came out at 1.8kg. Hope that helps?
    Kind regards
    Ed
  • Angel1
    Angel1 Posts: 55
    Thanks for posting this Stellaboy. The frame looks sleek in that paint job. How did the Stelvio cope with the cobbles at Paris-Roubaix? Can you compare the frame to other bikes in terms of responsiveness? I am thinking of investing in one, just trying to calculate whether I'll have the time to ride (yet another) enough to justify the purchase.
  • stellaboy
    For a relatively cheap carbon frame I was really pleased with it. The only other carbon bike I've had was a first generation Madone which was amazingly light and stiff, but anything over a couple of hours or so and I was glad to get off it. It was a bit too harsh for longer rides. I've had steel bikes since and have an alloy winter bike which I've enjoyed but my Holdsworth I'm really pleased with. I think with it being a compact and I run quite a bit of seatpost on it, it has quite a bit of compliance over rougher roads. Ok its not super light but I really enjoy riding it which I guess is the main consideration for riding any bike.
  • Angel1
    Angel1 Posts: 55
    Ok thanks for that! If I go for it, silver/grey tape will be the way to go. When ordering did you consider sizing down compared to other bike due to longer top tube? Size m has 57cm as virtual top tube but that seems a touch bigger than a standard medium would be.