Converting tripple crankset to double

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Folks,
My bike currently runs a SLX tripple chainset, I dont use the big ring very often at all and i find the granny ring is near useless so i think i am going to try a double set up. Couple of questions what ratio would people recommend. I live in the cotswolds and ride Cleeve hill, Breedon hill, Forest of dean predomently i think my 10 speed rear cassette is up to 36t tallest gear. My current tripple is 24x32x42. Can i buy replacement rings for the granny and middle say 28t and 36t? If so what do people recomend? Or would i be better buying a complete new chainset? Be interested to hear you thoughs?

Thanks

Comments

• thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I have a 29er, the cassette is 11-36, chain rings 24/38. This would obviously give you a wider range than 28/36. I'd consider the 38/26.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll want a slightly wider range, I'd go for 26/38 or 28/40, but yes, you can do that. TA Chinook rings are good, I used 28/40 (and 30/42), worked well.
  • russyh
    That makes sense to me, so in principle i should be able to do the conversion without a new chainset? Are Blackspire Super pro rings a good replacement choice over the standard SLX rings?

Whats the general thought over doing this conversion. Going off the above information (which makes perfect sense) i would change to a 26t granny 38t Middle and Bash guard for big ring? Does that make sense? is there any difference to spacing between double and tripple chainsets which will see chain rub from crossing the chain at all? sorry if thats a stupid question
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Russyh wrote:
    i think my 10 speed rear cassette is up to 36t tallest gear.
    Just to correct slightly, the 36T on the cassette is the shortest gear, the 11T is the tallest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    26/38 sounds good to me
    but in my 2x9 set up i have 22/36 on front and 11 to 34 cassette. (this works for me)
  • russyh
    26/38 it is then, thankks for yuor help guys. I am now on the look out for a decent deal on the chain rings.