Returning to the fold - What MTB? £700 limit.

Seismic22
Seismic22 Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Could people suggest the best Hardtail MTB's for £700 and under?

I've had a Stumpjumper and Rockhopper in the past but money situation dictated these had to go. Through the help of the Cycle 2 work scheme and having sorted myself out financially I'm now looking to return to MTB'ing without spending too much cash at the moment! Im about 6'1, 90kg and generally ride, XC and trails but can be known to push it a bit and take some jumps I probably shouldnt. Ive read lots of reviews but it seems like the market is flooded at this price range and I cant decide! Not keen on anything with a Suntour Fork, want Hydraulic brakes, the lighter the bike the better really.

Thanks, Rory.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What retailers does your scheme give you access to?

Go to choise is the Rockrider 8.1 at Decathlon (can be had through 'cyclesheme').

Nothing wrong with Suntour, like other brands, some stuff is pants, other stuff quite good!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Seismic22
    Thanks

Evans cycles or loads of other shops under the government cyclescheme,

The Rockrider looks incredible for the money but I'm not sure I like the XC style weight over the front fork riding pistion it apparently gives. I'll need to try one.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Can you use Halfords? If so, Boardman Comp would be a good choice.
  • Seismic22
    Doesnt look like I can use Halfords.....
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I really like my Rockrider, if I was in the market for an XC Hardtail the 8.1 would be top of the list. In fact it's probably a better choice overall than the 9.1 as the 9.1 is a bit heavy and no lock out for xc but too xc biased for general trail duties.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Seismic22
    Trek Mamba seems to tick all the boxes?

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... a-13-47090
  • The Rookie
    Worse fork and drivetrain than the RR and a seriously heavy beast. It's also a 29er, do you want a 29er for a reason?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    edited July 2013
    My rockrider 8.1 does ok on uk trail centres. Fit wider bars makes it bit more trail capable in my view. I fitted 700's it improved stability. You will also need to fit better tyres. Mountain king 2.2 black chilli work well on mine.
  • Seismic22
    Mamba - 1.1 kg more I think, yep the Fork does appear to be worse! From reading around the 29er thing seems to divide opinion, I quite like the thought of a 29er and its supposid performance benefits but I also think it could future proof the bike a bit, I'm going to be keeping the bike for quite a while and it seems the industry is going towards 29ers. (Think they look good too!). I'm open minded still though.
  • The Rookie
    At this price point a 29er will always be quite alot worse specified than a 26er.

29er is different, it's not necesarily the future so you aren't future proofing.

I'd still say the RR 8.1 is the better bet all round.
  • Seismic22
    Kona Cinder Cone? Recon Fork.

Going to try to head down to Decathlon today/tomorrow to take a look at a Rockrider.
  • Seismic22
    Any other thoughts?

I am going to try and head to Decathlon before the weeks out but would also like to consider all other options!

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    Link to full spec, otherwise the answer is a definate maybe!
  • Seismic22
    Seem very similar - not sure on weight.

Specification and Features of the Kona Cinder Cone Hardtail Mountain Bike.
    Frame Material Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted
    Sizes 14", 16", 17", 18", 19", 20", 22"
    Rear Shock N/A
    Fork RockShox Recon TK 100mm
    Crankarms Shimano M521
    Chainrings 42/34/24 B/B Shimano
    Pedals Wellgo LU-A9
    Chain Shimano HG53
    Freewheel Shimano HG50 11-34 9 spd
    F/D Shimano Alivio
    R/D Shimano SLX SGS
    Shifters Shimano Alivio
    Brake Calipers Avid Elixir 1
    Front Brake Rotor Avid G2 180mm
    Rear Brake Rotor Avid G2 160mm
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 1
    Headset TH No. 10
    Handlebar Kona XC/BC Riser
    Stem Kona XC/Road
    Seatpost Kona Double Clamp w/offset
    Seat Clamp Kona QR
    Grips Kona Race Light
    Saddle WTB Valcon Sport SE
    Front Hub Formula Disc
    Rear Hub Shimano M475 Disc
    Spokes Stainless 15g fr / 14g rr
    Rims Mavic XM119
    Front Tire Maxxis Aspen 26x2.1
    Rear Tire Maxxis Aspen 26x2.1
    Paint Color Blue/Blue/White

Went to decathlon today but they had sold out of 8.1's!! Must be a good thing, will try and go back when they have stock in. I'm leaning towards the rockrider really as its just so cheap for the spec but I just want to be aware of all options.
  • The Rookie
    Kona looks reasonable, drivetrain/brakes arn't quite as good as the RR, but it's not at all bad.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Think you missed the cycle to work scheme bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Seismic22
    I'd take a Canyon if I could!
  • slindborg
    slindborg Posts: 98
    Norco charger 9.2 only real downside I've found so far (done about 200km on it) is the oem tyres are utter utter crap for anything other than dry well packed mud/gravel. Oh and slinky rear stays mean a skinny rear tyre will be needed come winter. Other than that, it rides like a dream.
  • The Rookie
    Forks are not the best and drivetrain rather downmarket!