Shimano hydraulic brake adjusting help

Finlaz22
Finlaz22 Posts: 169
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone has any experience of adjusting the pad distance from the rotors on Shimano hydraulic brakes?

The brakes are Shimano Deore, but I can barely get the rotors in between the pads they're so close together! If someone could almost tell me a step by step guide to adjust the pad distance that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    place something clean and flat between the pads and push the pistons home.

fit wheel. reset pad position. bed in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Finlaz22
    Does the reservoir tank cover have to come off to do this? Then I assume a little hydraulic oil spills out when you essentially calibrate the new pad distance? Thanks, I've just bought these 2nd hand and don't want to mess it up!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    Does the reservoir tank cover have to come off to do this? Then I assume a little hydraulic oil spills out when you essentially calibrate the new pad distance?
    No, not unless it's overfilled.

The pistons are held in the right place by the seals as long as there isn't another error in the system (like overfilling!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Finlaz22
    OK thanks. So basically remove pads, stick something flat/clean in between and pull levers? Sorry for my mountain bike incompetence, I'm a roadie who's never dealt with hydraulics!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Finlaz22 wrote:
    OK thanks. So basically remove pads, stick something flat/clean in between and pull levers? Sorry for my mountain bike incompetence, I'm a roadie who's never dealt with hydraulics!
    no. read what was wrtien. no need to remove the pads. fit the wheel then pull the lever to reset the pistons.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Finlaz22
    Right... this all seems too easy. But thanks, I'll give it a go and see how it goes