Tour Podium Girls

dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited July 2013 in Pro race
No it's not another thread full of thinly veiled lechery.

Agreed, they do add a touch of glamour, but

a. They do actually do more than just pop out onto the podium at the finish and
b. They are not airhead models

Thanks to Inner Ring for the insight

http://inrng.com/2013/07/tour-de-france ... more-15882

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    Hmmm, yes there's more to it and a busy day of PR meet and greet work. However, just because one has a PhD doesn't mean it is intellectually challenging. I suspect personality and looks are more important criteria in their recruitment.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Pross wrote:
    Hmmm, yes there's more to it and a busy day of PR meet and greet work. However, just because one has a PhD doesn't mean it is intellectually challenging. I suspect personality and looks are more important criteria in their recruitment.

Mind you the data o brain show had some real hottie astrophysicists. Just shows birds can be bright and have looks. They were all brunette though
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    well she is a student so yet to pass the doctoral mark

and a lot of academics are not allowed out by themselves.........

but better that she wants more than a donkey sanctuary...........
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Outdated or not, podium girls add some glamour to the occasion and help improve the overall image for the sponsors ... Let's be honest, pro cyclists aren't the best looking bunch ...

Got to say it looked somewhat perfunctory at the start ramp yesterday with the guys from the local coffee shop ... The women on the startvramp at the Giro just made it seem like more of an occasion ...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It's totally cringeworthy and time to do away with this ridiculous ritual. The women racers don't have two blokes kissing them after a race.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I don't think finding the podium girls attractive equals lechery. They are very pretty and there's nothing wrong with thinking that IMHO.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    antfly wrote:
    It's totally cringeworthy and time to do away with this ridiculous ritual. The women racers don't have two blokes kissing them after a race.

No. It's harmless. Leave it be. If the girls didn't want to do it, they wouldn't. No-one is being exploited here.
  • Crankbrother
    antfly wrote:

The only reason pro cycling exists is as a marketing tool ... Even a basic understanding of how that works should let you know that every moment of that has to be maximised ... So pretty women it is ... (a marketing tool used to sell to all types of demograph, not just men) ...

By cringing you are showing that you think it is demeaning to the women involved ... Yet they do not, far from it ... They look to be enjoying themselves and see it as an opportunity ... But if denying women opportunities is your agenda, carry on ...

(Turns on antfly's telly to see a fat sweaty woman sniffing her pitts and announcing 'I'll bathe tomorrow' while spraying deodorant under her arm ...)
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Best podium girl ever - Germaine...

http://www.steephill.tv/2012/e3-prijs-v ... s/page-01/
  • Pross
    I don't think finding the podium girls attractive equals lechery. They are very pretty and there's nothing wrong with thinking that IMHO.

The photo in that Inner Ring article suggests otherwise!
  • Pross
    antfly wrote:

But would anyone seriously object if women's racing did do that?
  • Crankbrother

Sagan really is a master of disguise ... looking very 'handsy' ...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Boonen is doing a very professional job of smiling, whilst also thinking "what the f**k?".
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712

Boonen is doing a very professional job of smiling, whilst also thinking "what the f**k?".

Has she got a PhD then?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    RideOnTime wrote:

Has she got a PhD then?

She's certainly done a long course at the University of Life.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    It is interesting that the girl featured in the inner ring article mentioned that she is sometimes a little forgetful. Did anyone else notice the Podium Girl who was doing the yellow jersey presentation on Stage 1 or 2 and had forgotten or was not given the little lion to present to the rider. Bernard Hinault saved the day. His hand disappeared behind the stage hoarding and quickly reappeared with said lion. It was barely noticeable in the end. Very slick.

Presumably Hinault took the absent-minded offender, whoever they were, aside afterwards and warned them of the repercussions* if a similar incident were to occur. :evil:

*Taking an Hinault-assisted dive off the podium!

DD.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    I think it's the UCI's new method of ensuring a clean podium - didn't quite work out in the movie tho' :wink:

555-RTR2ZRSK.jpg

poltergeist-25th-anniversary-edition-20071008033224899-000.jpg
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    BBC news magazine on podium girls

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23159766
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:

The photo in that Inner Ring article suggests otherwise!

Tough crowd in tonight!

I think they're very attractive.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924

I think you,ve got the same sense of humour as i,ve got.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura