Clacketing from rear derrailleur

Claud Roubaix
Claud Roubaix Posts: 76
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi only just starting using the full range of gears, but have noticed that when using smaller front cog in top gear and when using the larger front cog on largest rear cogs* i am hearing a clacketing sound on the rear derrailleur.
Obviously it is lined to alignment but is it easily adjusted or take the bike bike to shop for a tinkering?

Many thanks in anticipation.

(*not sure of the correct terms to use, apolgies)

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    erm its cos you shouldn't use extreme "small rear small front" or "large front large rear"....crossing over will knacker your chain due to the extreme twist forces on it
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    If you have 2 front rings and 5 rear cogs, you don't have 10 gears to use. Don't use largest or smallest at the same time. Keep the chain 'straight', so small at front and half the big ones at back and vice versa.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    to OP,

the noise you hear is probably the chain rubbing on front mech. as others have said, do not use the extremes. however, it may be time to aquaint yourself with the trim function of your front shifter, if you have one.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    it will not knacker the chain for short usage but it does increase the rate of wear and is generally not considered best practice if you want to get the best life from your components. Plenty of youtube videos about tuning gears, its good to know what to do yourself, it helps understand about your bike as well as saving time and money with LBS visits. You know every time you visit the LBS you end up having to buy a bit more extra bling you dont really need. ;)
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You're doing what's known as 'cross-chaining' You should aviod using the largest cog on the front in combination with the larger cogs on your rear. Likewise, you should also avoid using the smaller cog on the front with the smaller cogs on the rear.

No need to adjust your mechs.
    Cycling weakly
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    To add to this (as it's not been said yet but Motogulf hinted at it) the same gear ratios are available in different gear combinations without cross-chaining.

On the big ring - big cassette drop to the small ring and go up a couple of gears at the back; on the small ring to small cassette change to the big ring and drop down a couple or three gears. You'll get roughly the same ratio without the noise; experimentation is the key.
  • Thanks for the replies, and the advice will be heeded.

I didnt realise that it was basically rider error. I will look at the suggested clips and begin to work out the correct sequence to use the gears. I genuinely had no idea.

Many many thanks - its a lot more technical than 30 years ago!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Took me ages to get my head around this too...

My first bike had a sturmey archer three speed
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Thanks for the replies, and the advice will be heeded.

I didnt realise that it was basically rider error. I will look at the suggested clips and begin to work out the correct sequence to use the gears. I genuinely had no idea.

Many many thanks - its a lot more technical than 30 years ago!

In a couple of years you'll see a similar post and you'll be going "I asked that!" Trust me on this :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter