Spanners

freshe
freshe Posts: 63
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking into getting a set of open+ring(closed) spanners. What would be the size bracket of spanners that I might ever use working on a bicycle ?

Plus any recommendations ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    None really, the only places you need spanners on a bike are the pedals (15mm, but really you want a pedal spanner for leverage), wheels (17mm if they are nutted not QR) and wheel bearing cones (normal spanners are too wide). Mostly you need Allen keys, pliers and special tools and a ratchet or spanner to drive the tools.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    oh this is a massive debate....

1st - offset spanners are meant for automotive use, straight 1's for bikes......

and you would need both ring and open as sometimes the ring end wont fit

and to undermine the 1st point -
    but I would also recommend a snap-on 14mm socket spanner for tightening square taper cranks back on.....
  • Rambo_123
    Rambo_123 Posts: 183
    7mm for Disc Brake bleed nipple.
  • freshe
    Rambo_123 wrote:

I definately need this one. But no point buying the whole set if I'll only use the 7mm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    freshe wrote:
    Rambo_123 wrote:

I definitely need this one. But no point buying the whole set if I'll only use the 7mm.
    not for all brakes.

if you want to buy a "kit" get a bike tools box.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    My Pedal spanner comes with a 14mm for the cranks.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • freshe
    nicklouse wrote:
    freshe wrote:
    Rambo_123 wrote:

I definitely need this one. But no point buying the whole set if I'll only use the 7mm.
    not for all brakes.

I've got nearly fully equipped "home bikeshop" - now looking for few missing bits.
  • The Rookie
    So buy what you need when you need it!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    so get the bits that you are missing... :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • freshe
    benpinnick wrote:
    cheers!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    freshe wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    freshe wrote:
    Rambo_123 wrote:

not for all brakes.

I've got nearly fully equipped "home bikeshop" - now looking for few missing bits.
    so take your tools to the bike and find what you can not undo. then buy what you need.

how hard is that?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Maybe he doesn't have the bike yet :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    A decent set of Allan keys, some code spanners and a 7mm open end. A cassette removal socket and a chain whip.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you want a nice shiny set of spanners (we all like shiny things) but dont have a big budget have a look at the Halfords Pro line. Very nicely made and with a lifetime warranty. Avoid crap like Draper, Silverline or Rolson because they are made out of monkey metal and will end up destroying your knuckles and teaching you how to remove rounded bolts and nuts.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap