On-One Wheel Buckle

riche0
riche0 Posts: 26
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone had any experience of On-One XC wheels buckling?

I was at Cannock Chase this wknd and my front wheel went into a hollow on a downwards section on the trail and buckled like a pringle, resulting in a flight over the handle bars and a trip to minor injuries.

To the extent it wouldn't turn through the forks and I had to stand on it to straighten it out so it would turn and I could get back to the car on the roads.

It may have been a freak accident, but would have expected it to be stronger and it was only 6 months old. They state "burly enough to roll over all but the biggest obstacles out on the trail".

I had no puncture, broken spokes just seemed to be the rim.

Anyone had any experiences?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Even a DH racing wheel can pringle if you hit something at an awkward angle. Rims are just expendable items and I dont think age comes into it. That is unless the spokes were a bit baggy some wheels need to be re tensioned after a few rides and its something I always do to any new wheel I have.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No good wheel should have to be retensioned after a ride. If that has to be done it has not been built properly.

What rim did you have. A stiffer rim is probably needed and built to proper even tension.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.