Matt finished frames.

Pkh72
Pkh72 Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Just a quick question for those that own carbon framed bikes with a matt finish.
I've just picked up a new Boardman Team Carbon from Halfords and wondered how easy it is to mark a frame with a matt finish.

I own a couple of mountain bikes with a more usual gloss finish and have never owned anything with a matt finish.

Is it fairly easy to mark a matt finished frame, do you have to take a bit more care with it?

I appreciate this is probably a daft question.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Every bike I have ever owned has acquired scratches. Some from riding, some from cleaning. The problem with matt finish paint is it does scratch just as easy. The hard part if covering them up again. You do not have a layer of lacquer on the paint to smooth out the imperfections. Therefore you will see them more than you would on gloss paint.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    when matt finish carbon gets dirty it is more work to clean than clear coat finish which is easily wiped clean.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    My brother has a white matt Pinarello - never again I think was the phrase he used. When cleaning the chain it is so easy to get black marks on it that are then really difficult to remove. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.
  • roadiemk
    roadiemk Posts: 19
    Mines a Matt carbon finish and as previously mentioned they scratch all to easily.

Esp darker finishes.
    Care is required when cleaning.
    I ensure any dirt on the bike is soaked with water to minimise scrstching during cleaning. Also I use baby wipes and soft polishing cloths.

A spray mist bottle comes in handy.
  • I have a Black and white carbon frame - I found a couple of caps of turtle wax car wash in a bucket of warm water and clean with a sponge brings off all marks (dirt / oil etc) with no problems and a lot cheaper and kinder to the bike than specialized de-greasers.
  • I prefer the gloss finished carbon frames, it seems more attractive than matt one.
    But there is no big difference with their function, matt one doesn't seem harder to take care.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I had a matt black MTB - by the time the frame died, it was half matt black and half gloss black. I vowed never again. Now I accidentally have a matt black Scott CR1 frame hanging up in the bike den. I'm pretty sure that before I get it built up, I will have it gloss lacquered. It will look far nicer and the finish will last for more than five minutes.

Whoever first thought of putting matt paint on a bike probably needs to be stood infront of a wall.......!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've just sold a half matt half gloss frame and vowed never to go there again, 48hrs later I bought another fully matt frame.....idiot, after building the frame up it took me an hour to get rid of every grease/oil mark and I was really careful, one ride at the weekend and it needs a clean again.
    General muck - zero issue, greasy oily marks - nightmare. Foam degreaser and hot soapy water.

I've got a 5 year old gloss black Look that looks like it's just come out of a shop, I've got a week old matt Scott that looks like it's 5 years old.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm building up one of the now ubiquitous Scott CR1-SL frames. It has a matt grey / silver finish, and I'm spending more time wiping off greasy thumb prints than actual spannering. The only consolation is that I didn't buy it for it's looks but to ride, so I think I'll be happy for it to look a bit tatty from the outset.

Matt finishes are a daft idea for cars and bikes. Things like that are meant to be shiny!
  • Bozman
    keef66 wrote:
    I'm building up one of the now ubiquitous Scott CR1-SL frames.

I think that half the country are building one up and are now cursing the matt finish.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I thought Scott deserved kudos for including the fitted BB, headset, spacers, dog fang and a spare bottle cage bolt, but now believe they should also have included a pack of disposable gloves and a pack of baby wipes...
  • Bozman
    I too would congratulate Scott if I wasn't using a Sram chainset and the bottle cage bolts were useless to me due to the irremoveable washers. I can hardly complain though, bargain.
  • Pkh72
    Pkh72 Posts: 5
    Thanks guys, consensus appears to be that they are awkward little buggers then :lol:
    The bike looks nice at the moment, it's inevitable that it'll get marked at some point but it won't make it any slower or quicker so i guess it's something my OCD will cherish over time.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Ive also got me a CR1 SL frame in matt finish. Someone recommended using Muc-off Silicon Shine (Screw fix currently have it on offer) and it seems to build up a bit of layer so any marks wipe straight off. I gave the frame a couple of "coats" before building it up and it's not marking as much as I thought it might. Might be worth giving it a go on your new Boardman. It's carbon-friendly, apparently 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Gizmodo
    I can't believe that, after saying how difficult matt frames are to keep clean, my new bike has arrived and guess what - it has a matt black finish :shock:

That's what you get for ordering on-line without ever having seen/touched one :?

Car polish now whilst still new!
  • smoggysteve
    All black canyon are Matt. But they still look 1000 times better than in white gloss. It's still a brilliant bike so shut it!! :-D

Have you actually ridden it yet or just stare at it lovingly Gizmodo.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Fashion fails all round then ;-)

Gloss bikes are also faster btw.
  • Gizmodo
    All black canyon are Matt. But they still look 1000 times better than in white gloss. It's still a brilliant bike so shut it!! :-D

I took here for a short 10 miler last night just to get the seat height right, then I took her to bed and snuggled :lol:
  • smoggysteve
    Gizmodo wrote:

I took here for a short 10 miler last night just to get the seat height right, then I took her to bed and snuggled :lol:

Funnily enough, I did a similar thing with my new Sempre. Quick blast out to get a feel for her, then got told off by the wife for "spending too much time upstairs with the bike" Well, its not staying in the cellar!!!!!