Giant Anthem X 29er vs. Trance X 29er vs. something else

Irving Washington
Irving Washington Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am planning to buy a new full suspension bike for trail use for around £1500. My LBS sells Giant and I am able to get either the Trance X 29er 1 or the Anthem X 29er 1 for the same price. I am also open for other alternatives than these two, but they are what my LBS carries. The Anthem wouldn't even have been a candidate if it wasn't for Bikeradar giving it such a stellar review in the Trail Bike Of The Year test. But I am still afraid that it will be to twitchy and nervous since it is a race bike by heart but then again I also like a quick climber. The Trance however seems like it might be too much bike at times and the reviews looks like they have more complaints about it than the Anthem. So please, help me decide on the right bike. If Bikeradar isn't lying in their review then I feel that the Anthem is the obvious choice, but if they are then I might pick the Trance or something else.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why does it have to be a 29er?
    I have had a Trance (26") and now have the Anthem (also 26"). There is bugger all between them. The Anthem is a fast xc bike but not twitchy and doesn't feel racey. I tried the Anthem 29er and its not as much fun or as good on tight single track but faster on the less fun bits.
    Giants full build bikes are poor value and come with poor components but they do make excellent frames, im on my 5th but I wouldnt buy a complete Giant bike again.
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    I have the anthem x 29er and absolutely love it. Would definitely buy it again. The anthem is more aimed a cross country but is a really good trail bike too. I saw it came second in a trail bike test lately which is good for cross country bike. It was the only cross country bike in the test.

Like rock monkey said some of the parts aren't the best. The brakes were rubbish on mine. But I got mine for frame and forks. Gears are good so I just upgraded brakes and wheels. Wheels weren't a must but I was splashing out and had always wanted some custom wheels made.

But anyway....the anthem frame is really good and I don't think you would be disappointed in any of the range.

I have read good things about the trance too. But having never been on one I can't comment. The extra travel maybe worth it if you're going to be doing some jumps.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I had an Anthem 29er, and I don't think I'd buy another.

As Rockmoneky says - it's a rocket ship on the less technical stuff, and climbs like a mountain goat, but when the going gets technical (either up or down) it was a bit lacking for my taste. The front end was too hard to manual over stuff at speed - meaning you end up relying on the wheel size and suspension to carry you over stuff (which alright until the speeds pick up). The rear tends to push the front end on through corners too, menaing you have to either back the speed right off, or really try and heave the thing about. Them big wheels don't like turning. The turning may be tunable with the right tyres (I didn't get chance to find out as mine was pinched).

Oh, and on the lower models, the stock brakes are not enough for a 29" wheel (I replaced mine with Deores and could actually lock the wheels!)

I loved it whilst I had it (on the less technical stuff it was just so damn fast), but having been back out on 26ers recently, I'm going to replace mine with a Trance 26er.

The best advice I can offer to try before you buy.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I have had a Trance (26") and now have the Anthem (also 26"). There is bugger all between them.

Really?
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not a lot. They are very similar to ride. Put a 140mm fork on the Trance and it transforms it but as standard I would do anything on the Anthem that I would do on the Trance and just as fast. The Trance is also a fast xc bike
    What makes you think therr would be a big difference?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Not sure what 'too much bike' means. Better to have too much than not enough! My son has a Trance X2 26er and loves it. Far better than his previous Cube AMS. The Trance has slacker head and longer travel. If you intend to do any downhill, this will be better.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    If you intend to do downhill then forget short travel bikes, especially ones with 29" wheels.
    The difference in head angle between the Trance and Anthem is only 2 degrees, its not exactly slack which is why a lot of people fit longer forks.
    The Anthem is slightly lighter and climbs a little faster and the Trance is just a little better for aggressive riding. They are very similar.
    Im a very aggressive rider and I dont miss the Trance at all.
  • pilch
    What makes you think therr would be a big difference?

Maybe i'm looking at it more from a race perspective, I know many people racing Anthems both 26 & 29, one who owns both Anthem & trance, one who owns a trance and has raced on it (and hated it). I don't know anybody that I ride with that would choose a trance over an anthem to race xc on.... thats not to say you can't, its just a much better tool for the job...

29er race

29er bouncer
  • rockmonkeysc
    I didn't think the Anthem felt anywhere near as racey as the XTC. The Anthem is superb for all day epics and big mile rides. I can comfortably do 90km on the Anthem and get off feeling not too bad.
  • pilch
    I didn't think the Anthem felt anywhere near as racey as the XTC. The Anthem is superb for all day epics and big mile rides. I can comfortably do 90km on the Anthem and get off feeling not too bad.

I thought we were comparing Anthem/Trance... XTC is a hardtail? different animal

29er race

29er bouncer
  • rockmonkeysc
    Yes. Just saying that the Anthem doesn't feel that racey compared to some other bikes.
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    Clank wrote:
    Them big wheels don't like turning. The turning may be tunable with the right tyres (I didn't get chance to find out as mine was pinched)

Yeah I have put a HANS dampf on the front of mine for extra grip up front.

It's funny how much choice there is with bikes now and how all different bikes people either love or hate. In the early 90's when I was a wee nipper there was hard tails with fixed forks,one size wheel, that everyone used for everything and loved.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    there was hard tails with fixed forks,one size wheel, that everyone used for everything and loved.

Probably explains why I've got the wrists of an 80 yr old now! :lol:

Technology on bikes - it's a good thing!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Grovsie29
    Grovsie29 Posts: 116
    The difference in head angle is 1.5 degrees, and it's a fair emount. A santa cruz nomad is designed as an all mountain bike, and it's only 2 degrees less than a trance. A reign has the same difference from a Trance, as a Trance has from an Anthem.

Ive had a go on my buddies Anthem I think it's an X3, and it's a fair bit lighter than my Trance as well, you definatly notice it.