Ragley Piglet or Santa Cruz Chameleon Frames??

stuartfung
stuartfung Posts: 90
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Right, I've decided to explore the option of swapping all my components from my cube acid over to a new frame and like both the Ragley Piglet and the SC Chameleon. Possible to do?? Which of these two frames are better for trail Centre rides with occasional stay up and down hills?
Dialled Alpine MK2, Ragley Blue Pig, Giant TCR Carbon Road

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Possible? - You need to make a list of what you have and compare it to what you will need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    IIRC the chameleon will take 140mm forks, the piglet only 120mm forks. so that makes quite a difference straight away.

the cube is a nice bike, if you're keeping the same forks why are you changing the frame? :?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Both the Chameleon and Piglet are more trail/downhill orientated than the Acid. Personally, I'd go for the Piglet. But then I do frefer steel to Alu. Also the Piglet is about £250 cheaper. So you could upgrade something.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • stuartfung
    The Acid is a more general ride, and that is not what I am after now. So wanting to keep the components from the Cude and swap them over to a medium size frame as mentioned above. I've also looked at On One Inbred as a potential candidate. I do like the Chameleon and it would have to be the medium size but the piglet I think it would have to be the small, apparently.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Consider the Ragley Marley, Piglet Geo in ally.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    but I still don't get why? if you were changing to more travel etc then i'd understand. but it's not going to make a huge difference if, like I said, you're keeping the forks aswell :?

but each to their own :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He has a few random threads on the same thing - in one the current bike is too small.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thelonegroover
    How tall are you? I'm 5' 9 1/2" I used to have an 16" Inbred, which had a effective TT length of 589mm, I now have a 17.5" High Latitude, which is 595mm. The Piglet 16" is 585mm, 18" is 605mm.

The Latitude has a shorter stem, I think in your case, depending on your height, either a 16" with longer stem or 18" with shorter stem would do.
    Chameleon med is 585, conclusion: I'd go for the 16" sqealer!
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • thelonegroover
    cooldad wrote:
    He has a few random threads on the same thing - in one the current bike is too small.

I see what you mean, says he wants an XC/race frame, but the two frames he's selected are more trail based. Although in my opinion either frame would be better than the Cube.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    welshkev wrote:
    but I still don't get why? if you were changing to more travel etc then i'd understand. but it's not going to make a huge difference if, like I said, you're keeping the forks aswell :?

The travel of a frame is only part of the puzzle, the geometry also a big (in my opinion a far more important) part in what the bike feels like.

eg You can make a 120m steep angled racy bike or a 120mm jump bike or a 120mm slack angled free ride bike etc

All three frames will have different feel and work better or worse in very different situations.

OP - can you clarify what you intend to use the new frame for? and what you what to change compared to your current frame.
  • welshkev
    jairaj wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

The travel of a frame is only part of the puzzle, the geometry also a big (in my opinion a far more important) part in what the bike feels like.

eg You can make a 120m steep angled racy bike or a 120mm jump bike or a 120mm slack angled free ride bike etc

All three frames will have different feel and work better or worse in very different situations.

OP - can you clarify what you intend to use the new frame for? and what you what to change compared to your current frame.

fair point, but I went from a 100mm travel giant talon to my current ride which is a 150mm cove stiffee. if i'd kept the 100mm travel forks I wouldn't have felt that much difference even though the geometry of the cove is designed for more of a 'hardcore' hardtail
  • stuartfung
    How tall are you? I'm 5' 9 1/2" I used to have an 16" Inbred, which had a effective TT length of 589mm, I now have a 17.5" High Latitude, which is 595mm. The Piglet 16" is 585mm, 18" is 605mm.

The Latitude has a shorter stem, I think in your case, depending on your height, either a 16" with longer stem or 18" with shorter stem would do.

Hi everyone, yes, so observant of you all that ALL my posts relate to having bought the 'wrong' bike (and yes I tried a few bikes but thought a small size would be right because was thinking of the standover clearance), even tried selling it as a whole with no luck. I am 5'7 and the short TT of the Cube keeps me upright, and yes I have tried a longer stem (110mm) and very minimal change. I have, since having bought it, tried other 'medium' sized bikes and they gave the right fit. So, hence this post, was looking at options as I do just want to get out there and ride. I will going on trail centre rides and the odd xc rides with my riding buddies.
    @Thelonegroover, for the Chameleon, do you think a small rather than a medium?
    I also read that this frame is best used with a 130mm fork; true or can I use my 100mm RS XC32 Solo Air with it?
    All-in-all I think I should have 'test-drove' a few more bikes before parting with my cash. :(
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stuartfung wrote:
    was thinking of the standover clearance
    and that was your first error. hence the stand over topic in general. with the advent of suspension standover clearance went out of the window for many people.

re the swapping of parts. Like I said in your other post get measuring and then compare. here you ask about using your current fork on a new frame. sure a 100mm fork can be used but the steering might be a bit sharper than you would want or be expecting. but first will it even fit? is the steerer long enough? if not then the question has no relavance as you will have to by another fork and then you can get what ever you feel like.

So back to measureing and then see what frames you could possibly use. Dont forget things like headsets and stems need to be considered for the steerer length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thelonegroover
    stuartfung wrote:

Hi everyone, yes, so observant of you all that ALL my posts relate to having bought the 'wrong' bike (and yes I tried a few bikes but thought a small size would be right because was thinking of the standover clearance), even tried selling it as a whole with no luck. I am 5'7 and the short TT of the Cube keeps me upright, and yes I have tried a longer stem (110mm) and very minimal change. I have, since having bought it, tried other 'medium' sized bikes and they gave the right fit. So, hence this post, was looking at options as I do just want to get out there and ride. I will going on trail centre rides and the odd xc rides with my riding buddies.
    @Thelonegroover, for the Chameleon, do you think a small rather than a medium?
    I also read that this frame is best used with a 130mm fork; true or can I use my 100mm RS XC32 Solo Air with it?
    All-in-all I think I should have 'test-drove' a few more bikes before parting with my cash. :(

I'm not sure, Santa Cruz seem to think a med for your height, you'd need to sit on one.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20