Possible to swap components from a small to medium?

stuartfung
stuartfung Posts: 90
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks? I got a cube in a small size but pondering if it is possible to swap all the components to a medium size frame e.g. a santa cruz chameleon? I am after a more xc race Geometry than what I have now.
Dialled Alpine MK2, Ragley Blue Pig, Giant TCR Carbon Road

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some yes some no.

measure and compare.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • riche0
    riche0 Posts: 26
    Brake and gear cables and chain might be too short if your going bigger.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Seattube may be different meaning different post clamp and front mech, even if it's the same dianeter no guarentees the front mech will fit, cables and hoses may not be right or may fit regardless (they usually have a bit of 'spare', chainstay length doesn't usually change with frame size but the new frame may be longer in the rear than the Cube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not to mention head tube, headset fitting,steerer length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • your seat tube might be too short if it was cut down for the medium bike (even if it turns out to be the right diameter)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Going the other way, so that's very unlikely to be an issue.

The Chameleon is far from being a race frame though, I'd say that if you want more XC race geometry you probably want to keep looking!