What's in your Camelback?

Maro
Maro Posts: 226
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Just curious really to see what people carry on a typical weekend ride. Perhaps there's stuff some of us have that others haven't thought of taking.

I take:
Water.
Spare tube + puncture repair kit.
Pump.
Hex/Allen key set.
Small bike lights.
Basic first aid kit.
Spare mech hanger.
Sometimes Sweets/Chocolate/Jelly blocks.
Phone + Money.
Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.

Comments

• rapid_donkey
    rapid_donkey Posts: 448
    Same as above + shock pump, tie wraps, latex gloves, eye drops in summer, chain tool with spare quick links and also one of those gerber combo tool things that has pliers, knife, screwdrivers etc on it.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    As above, shock pump, chain tool and power links additional to your list
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    water
    energy/protein bar
    jelly babies
    pump
    leatherman
    allen key set
    torch
    2x tubes
    sticky patches for tubes & tyres
    tyre levers
    mech hangers
    chain splitter
    quick links
    cable ties
    map
    small first aid kit with a really enormous plaster!
    brake pads
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    felix.london, do you go for epic rides in the mountains with that lot or think of nearly everything incase something breaks ?

i just carry in my vaude back pack,
    tools
    pump
    c02 gas pump
    inner tube
    puncture repair glueless patches.
    bike lock

thinking of getting some sram powerlinks and gear cables for if the worse happens and they break.
  • welshkev
    swod1 wrote:
    felix.london, do you go for epic rides in the mountains with that lot or think of nearly everything incase something breaks ?

k,

I think he does live in the alps so its a long way to get home lol
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Depends which pack I am using I have 2. A 14 litre with 3 litre bladder Deuter with everything but the kitchen sink in for big rides and a 6 litre with 2 litre bladder Aldi special that has a tube, couple of zip ties, multi tool, 2 KMC links and a cheapo phone for rides up to 3 hours.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Water,
    pump,
    shock pump,
    first aid kit,
    multi-tool,
    patches,
    zip ties,
    spare contact lenses,
    map,
    GPS logger,
    tasty energy bar,
    money,
    rear light,
    and a pair of pliers.

My friends were laughing that I carried pliers - but having had to borrow some to remove thorns in the past I now see them as 'essentials', and on Sunday they saved on of my friends carbon frames from a stone wedged between frame and chainwheels.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    Water,
    Multi tool,
    Phone,

I feel like I should be carrying more now. My rides recently have only been 12-15 mile rides. If anything major went wrong I would be calling home.

I have tubeless tyres, do you think I have too much faith that I won't get a puncture? I've only had them about 3 months but fingers crossed after about 100 miles I've been ok.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Water
    Soemthing to eat if more than 3 hours or so riding planned

Spare top/extra layer/jacket depending upon conditions
    Spare gloves if it is wet
    Different colour lenses for my ridign glasses

Mini pump
    Multi tool
    Chain splitter
    Couple of quick links
    Small section of chain
    Mech hanger (only for the Canyon, must get one for the Scandal)
    Cable ties
    Electrical tape
    Pucture repair kit
    2 tubes (old ones, fixed, currently)
    24" tube for my daughter's bike ususally stays in too

Phone
    Wallet
    Small first aid kit
  • Mould...

I really do need a new bladder.
  • welshkev
    Water,
    Multi tool,
    Phone,

I feel like I should be carrying more now. My rides recently have only been 12-15 mile rides. If anything major went wrong I would be calling home.

I have tubeless tyres, do you think I have too much faith that I won't get a puncture? I've only had them about 3 months but fingers crossed after about 100 miles I've been ok.

I did a 50km ride Sunday and one of the guys running tubeless had 2 'punctures' huge thorn 1st time and it just burped out the side second time!
  • Brown sauce
    welshkev wrote:
    Water,
    Multi tool,
    Phone,

I did a 50km ride Sunday and one of the guys running tubeless had 2 'punctures' huge thorn 1st time and it just burped out the side second time!

Ok.....from now on I take

Water,
    Multi tool,
    Phone,
    Pump,
    Puncture repair kit.

Haha
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • bartimaeus
    If you are running tubeless a puncture repair kit may not be much use - I'd carry a spare tube, and maybe a 'boot' as I'm assuming the most likely failure after a puncture that won't seal is a sidewall tear.

But sometime you are just screwed...
    BMBDb-2CYAA_P5I.jpg:large
  • Brown sauce
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    If you are running tubeless a puncture repair kit may not be much use - I'd carry a spare tube, and maybe a 'boot' as I'm assuming the most likely failure after a puncture that won't seal is a sidewall tear.

But sometime you are just screwed...
    BMBDb-2CYAA_P5I.jpg:large

Blimey, that's a serious puncture. Did you have to walk back after that or did you manage to limp home?
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • bartimaeus
    Wasn't me, luckily - but that was the loudest 'bang' I've heard when riding. Luckily we were only 1 mile into our ride, and only about a mile and a half from my friends house... I'm pretty sure he rode home on the rim though :shock:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bladder
    Camera
    Allen key set
    Phone
    Wallet
    Banana
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    swod1 wrote:
    felix.london, do you go for epic rides in the mountains ?

Ha! Yes I do but it's not actually that much, maybe the leatherman & torch is additional? But yeah, could be a long. long walk home down some sketchy trails (potentially in the dark) if something goes tits up.

Oh forgot to add - Waterproof jacket but that's normally well put away by July...seems even down here summer is yet to properly kick in (saying that is was 28ºC on Monday :wink: )
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:
    Water,
    Multi tool,
    Phone,

Ok.....from now on I take

Water,
    Multi tool,
    Phone,
    Pump,
    Puncture repair kit.

Haha

I've never used tubeless so i'm not 100% sure, but I think he had some more sealant and a CO2 cartridge to blow it back up...would that make sense?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Everyone always takes the mickey about how much stuff I have in my camelbak - it is *possibly* a tad excessive, but in my defence I don't empty it between epic Peaks trips, days coaching or bimbles to the pub. So the same stuff goes with me everywhere;

water
    2 x inner tubes
    multi-tool
    tyre levers
    puncture repair kit
    pump
    first aid kit (a good one!)
    survival blanket
    snack bars
    extra layers
    phone
    emergency money

:oops:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    mcnultycop wrote:

I attach mine under the saddle with a cable tie on all my bikes. I try not to use a camel bak most of the time as I find them very irritating, most of the other essential bits tool/tube/pump/tyre levers I strap round my bike with one of these mount zoom straps. They are very good, not lost anything yet.

image.php?imageid=1706
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Oooh, I honestly wouldn't feel happy (personally) riding without a first aid kit etc etc - I completely appreciate how everyone assesses risks differently so i'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong. just that it wouldn't sit right with me :D

Mind you, I have seen some right old pickles when friends have come off, so that's probably skewed my opinion. I would rather carry it all around and hope I never have to use it....

And yes, friends happily ride without any kit as they know they can rely on me to have my camelbak stuffed full of anything remotely important :roll:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    remindes me need to get a new first aid kit for mine.

Lost my old sack and need to refill lost bits as i think of them.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    pilch wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

I attach mine under the saddle with a cable tie on all my bikes. I try not to use a camel bak most of the time as I find them very irritating, most of the other essential bits tool/tube/pump/tyre levers I strap round my bike with one of these mount zoom straps. They are very good, not lost anything yet.

image.php?imageid=1706

That's do my head in. I'd have to clean everything every ride. If expect my pump to fall to bits too. I'll stick to a rucksack.
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    Shock pump, leatherman and cable ties now in my pack too.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    3 litre bladder.
    2 tubes. Tyre levers and a pump.
    Set of allen keys, Lezyne multi-tool with chain breaker and a small Gerber.
    2 gear cables.
    Quick links and a small section of chain.
    Money, phone/GPS.
    Spare rear light.

For longer rides a snack and maybe an energy drink. And a sweat rag, the most important part of my pack.

I need a spare mech hanger... And first aid kit.

Even though my rides aren't far from home... I'd rather try my best to not let the likes of a snapped cable to finish my ride and most likely put me in a shoot mood. Speaking of cables, Can anyone recommend a multi-tool with a cable cutter? Or just a smallish cable cutter?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont know of a specific cable cutter on a bike multi tool but the Gerber and Leatherman multitools have a cable cutter. They are very useful tools to carry I have one in my pack used it a couple of weeks ago to get a fence staple out of a tyre.

http://www.gerber-store.co.uk/tools-c2/suspension-multi-tool-p68
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Vimto/hi5 mix
    Malt loaf
    Dextro tabs
    Multitool
    Tyre levers
    Pump
    Cable ties
    Coat
    First aid kit

For longer wilder rides I add more food, shock pump and a small adjustable spanner
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I probably carry too much but here goes

Quick links
    Multitool with splitter
    leatherman
    Spare tube
    Spare valves
    pump
    Jelly babies
    couple of flapjacks
    gaffer tape
    Gear cable
    Spare hanger
    Bladder full of a carb mix drink
    lights
    Paracord
    First aid kit
    Money
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Here's mine:

Shock pump
    Cable ties
    Mini pump
    Spare tube
    Alien multi tool (great bit of kit)
    Puncture kit
    Oil.....it's just in there
    First aid kit
    Money
    Phone
    Tyre levers
    Food depending on length of ride.
    Electrical tape

Seems a lot now I've typed it up :D

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Why carry a shock pump? I've never known a shock to depressure on a ride.