Which rim question number 47

twonks
twonks Posts: 352
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
As some may have read on STW, I totalled my front wheel in a crash this weekend.

Whilst I recover physically I'm already setting about buying new bits to replace the broken.

I'm struggling with the front wheel and would like some opinions if I may.

As was the bike is a SC superlight with 120 sids up front (15mm through axle).

I ride mainly XC centre orientated trails and local woods. Cannock and Sherwood are typical and we have a week in Snowdonia every year (August)

Up until I did the bike park at Sherwood (and crashed) there hasn't really been any jumping as such, other than natural hucks etc as part of a trail / ride.

At 230lb I am not light, but the existing Wheelpro bought Hope ProII and Stans 355 rims have stood up very well.

I am a little bit reluctant to go with a Crest replacement rim as I'm not sure it would e strong enough - but I don't really want to go to the rotational weight addition of a Flow.

Is there anybody riding on Crests at a similar weight and riding style to moi, or should I just suck it up and get a Flow - or AN other rim?

I don't mind getting the rear rebuilt to match either, so something like Arch EX rims may be a good option - if I can find them as a pair at a half decent price.

Running tubeless if it helps, but not tied to it.

Ta muchly

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mavic XM719. Lighter than Flows and stronger than Crests. I find Stans rims too soft, Mavic seem to use a harder alloy.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If the 355 rims where fine then the Crest will be fine I think its pretty much an updated version of the 355, wider and with the newer Stans bead. If you wanted more security then the Arch EX should be more than enough for you.

I weight 95kg (210lbs) with kit and been ridding my Crests for a couple years. I ride mostly XC but riding is about having fun for me not getting to finish line first so that includes doing small to mid sized jumps and drops and general messing about. Had many trips to Peaks, Lakes and Wales and they have been fine.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm now in two minds as I can steal the Superstar Switch / Crest builds that are on my OH's bike (1 ride old) and put her original wheels back on.

The dilemma is that whilst the existing 355/Hope Pro ii on my bike lasted around 4 years and the front was only destroyed by a crash that would kill any rim, the Superstar builds were given to my OH as they failed and had to be rebuilt when I used them for one ride on my hardtail. (back wheel lost all spoke tension after 30 minutes around Kitchener trail)

I believe the Superstar builds were not 100% the first time round and they seem ok now, but do I risk putting them on my FS with the chance that my fat ass will damage them instantly?

I think the best option will be to sell the Superstar wheels and save for Arch ex on pro ii hubs from 18bikes or similar.

Or I could get the Superstar ones tensioned and tweaked by a reputable builder before I use them, as in theory they should be at least as strong as the original 355 based wheels ?

The main reason for getting it right (apart from expense) is that we are going to Wales for a weeks cycling in August and I don't want my wheels exploding half way round the middle of nowhere.

Decisions decisions.. lol
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My last two Superstar wheel sets have been great, pretty good build quality.
    If you want a real top quality hand built set try JD Tuning. I just had a set built by him and they are spot on. I think he charged about £50 for labour to build a pair and parts at rrp or you can supply parts.