Lapierre zesty 514 2013 Rear Axle

lugsey2k5
lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello.
Just building up my new 2013 zesty 514 frame using my 2010 parts, I have a SS switch Evo rear hub. The frame is currently set up for a 142x12 axle while my wheel is currently a QR.
Is this all i need to convert it or do i need an axel too?
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=576

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• lugsey2k5
    Ok im having issues working out what is designed for what.
    The frame came set up for 142x12 but came with adapters for qr as shown below:
    2013-07-02173700_zps88843411.jpg

2013-07-02173731_zps52f63f63.jpg

2013-07-02173741_zps44446019.jpg

I have just fitted an adapter to the drive side which changes the threads from 12mm down to QR size, although it still has the other drop out in. The extra drop out they supplied me if fitted would not hold the mech in the same possition?

What looks to be the drop-out insert for the non drive side is a press fit so want to be sure before fitting it although with that fitted it still seems as if the qr cam would rub against the outside of the frame show in the 3rd image when it was wound in. The wheel is currently set up for QR.

Any help on easiest way to set all this up?
    Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So what is the bit in your hand?

And don't forget there is scope for the mech to be in a range of positions.

The insert should have an O ring in the groove at a guess so it does not rpeasily fall out whel there is no wheel in. So it should be a reasonable fit but not one way.

Just get it bolted on and pressed in and stop worrying.

Start worrying if it is not right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lugsey2k5
    Bit in my hand is just the hanger i was using to hold the frame up for the pictures. It just seems like if these adapters are for qr conversion there should be something on the outside of the frame non drive side but i could be wrong.

I will press it in and see how it all looks. I had a quick test with the qr skewer which did reach to the drive side threads and pulled the frame in. Will report back after testing the bits all together.
  • lugsey2k5
    Would i need a maxel to run as a through axle or is there an alternative.

The non drive side drop out does start to go in but its a press fit and i dont really have the bits to make a press atm without really bodging one. Could do it at work if i did go that route.

PS, should the warrenty frame which came with a headset with a reducer already installed as it was different to the 2010 spec on (tapered) have come with the axle? Looking at maxles and there £60!