Bike rental in Jura

mr_quiggs
mr_quiggs Posts: 15
edited August 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Off on holiday next week to French Jura (Lons-le-Saunier.)

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for where to hire a road bike when in the area. Plenty if MTB rental options, but can't see anywhere offering Road bikes. Is it a case of just asking in the various bike shops?
Thanks
Mr_Q

Ned Flanders: “You were cycling two abreast?”
Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were cycling to a lake.”

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    If you're flying into Geneva, maybe contact these guys...

If you want a bike for more than 6 days then it's CHF 40/day (£27) or CHF 50/day (£34) if you want the bike for a shorter period of time. Not cheap but it's a decent bike (BMC Streetracer).

http://bikeswitzerlandrentals.com/

I cycled from Geneva to Olten over four days last year. The bigger towns had bike shops but I can't imagine many of them did rentals.
  • DrDavros
    DrDavros Posts: 62
    Don't want to sound too negative, but I think It's highly unlikely you'll find anywhere around Lons that rents road bikes (I’m the other side of Dijon, so not so far away): first, the immediate area around Lons is as flat as a flat thing that’s been sat on by something heavy, and second, there’s just no road cycling ‘touristique’ infrastructure around there. The Alps, sure, but Jura?? There’s no demand so no supply. (Although it’s a beautiful area esp. further East).

As you said, asking in a bike shop may be the only option – (I recall buying some tubes from a big store - - Espace Forrestier ?? in Lons a few years ago – big shop, but all VTT)

I think this is a case where you really need to bring you own bike.
  • Just to let you know that I managed to rent a bike from www.bikerentalfrance.com who have a base in Beaune. The owner, Arnaud, however arranged for delivery and collection in Lons le Saunier.

The bike was a Giant TCR Composite with 105, so more than adequate. It was quite expensive, when the delivery cost was included, but I was ready for that.

I managed to ride 6 days on fantastic roads around St.Laurent and St. Claude. Next season the company will have Madones for rental.