Is 22 mile each way commute possible ?

StephenZA
StephenZA Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
I'm a student looking to save some money (and, more importantly, my sanity) by commuting in to London by bike rather than train approximately three times a week.

I'm new to cycling but feel I have a fairly good base level of fitness due to running and I would also have the next couple of months to try and get used to the effort required.

I have no idea whether this is a reasonable dream or if it simply isn't possible. Here's the route:
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=reigat ... a=N&tab=wl

Google Maps suggests this should take around 2 hours 15 minutes if cycling.

Does anyone have any experience of commuting this far or any reservations about the route? Any help would be much appreciated. My major concern would be for my safety on the the A217 but haven't yet taken a close look.

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    Hey Stephen. Definetly do-able mate. Looks like a nice straight road (rather turning left, right etc). i would put that route on to ridewithgps.com to give you an idea of how hilly that route is. My commut to work is about 16.5 miles and it takes me about an hour to get to work. i would imagine that 22miles, considering that its not too hilly, it could take 1hr 30mins-ish. i would do a dummy run on a weekend to get the feel of it.

i cant really comment on the road you refer to, i live on the other side of the country, but i suppose if you dont stray out to far out in to the road and you wear some high visibility jersey or jacket then you'll be fine.. i hope my input helps in some way. good luck and let us know how u get on (if you decide to do it)
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    bored so did it for you.....

dopcoo.jpg

Even with a reasonable base level of fitness, it will take you some time to adjust to this
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    the OP has got a few months to get used to it.

I think it's possible, my commute is 35 miles each way and am trying a couple of times a week at the moment. Though mine is country lanes :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know 2 people who do further thatn that 2-3 days a week.

You should be able to average in excess of 15mph, google gives quite a slow pace (sub 10mph).

I would suggest working upto it though, do it at a weekend with no time pressure, maybe see if you can do 1/2 train 1/2 bike for a few days as well, then do the full route 2 days a week with at least 2 days off in between before working up.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • StephenZA
    Azhar wrote:
    Hey Stephen. Definetly do-able mate. Looks like a nice straight road (rather turning left, right etc). i would put that route on to ridewithgps.com to give you an idea of how hilly that route is. My commut to work is about 16.5 miles and it takes me about an hour to get to work. i would imagine that 22miles, considering that its not too hilly, it could take 1hr 30mins-ish. i would do a dummy run on a weekend to get the feel of it.

i cant really comment on the road you refer to, i live on the other side of the country, but i suppose if you dont stray out to far out in to the road and you wear some high visibility jersey or jacket then you'll be fine.. i hope my input helps in some way. good luck and let us know how u get on (if you decide to do it)

Have to say I'm very happy to find that people think this is possible. Will probably choose Sunday morning to attempt the route and then allow myself the luxury of returning by train.
  • StephenZA
    gbsahne wrote:
    bored so did it for you.....

dopcoo.jpg

Even with a reasonable base level of fitness, it will take you some time to adjust to this

It is a bit daunting but hopefully with the time I have I should be able to make it feel a bit more routine. Thanks.
  • StephenZA
    I know 2 people who do further thatn that 2-3 days a week.

You should be able to average in excess of 15mph, google gives quite a slow pace (sub 10mph).

I would suggest working upto it though, do it at a weekend with no time pressure, maybe see if you can do 1/2 train 1/2 bike for a few days as well, then do the full route 2 days a week with at least 2 days off in between before working up.

So I must have unknowingly internalised this advice in my previous reply but this does seem like the best bet. Will try this Sunday.
  • sandhun
    sandhun Posts: 24
    edited July 2013
    Personally, I think that's quite a long distance for a daily commute. Obviously it sounds like some people on here could do it easily but I'd find that a struggle. Could you perhaps get a train from Reigate/Redhill a few stops towards London then cycle the remaining distance as you get closer to the city?
  • snipsnap
    snipsnap Posts: 259
    my (full) commute is 25 miles each way. I dont do it every day both ways as can use the train and the bike users club lockers to store bike etc (or just lug it on the train!).

build up to it as others have suggested and see what your options are regarding breaking up the ride with other forms of transport.

For me, the main problem isnt the distance, it's getting the time to do it either side of the working day and the amount of kit you need for doing this level of commuting in this country with constantly changeable weather. you literally need to be prepared for anything. and washing kit over night ready for the next morning becomes a chore after a busy day and almost 50 miles on the bike.

another point is fuelling. I find that I need to snack constantly (well I do anyway) but make sure you keep your energy levels, and fluid levels up.

commutes of that distance usually knock any idea of weekend leisure riding on the head pretty quickly. depends what your meain reasons to ride are really as to how do-able it is. i found it was too much for me every day as with a young family I wanted to be home a bit sooner in the evenings to see them & help out, but fantastic way to save cash and increase fitness. also a great way to leave the working day behind before you get home from work.

good luck!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Definitely doable but you might need to build up to doing it 3 times a week, bear in mind that those roads are going to be pretty busy at rush hour too.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    StephenZA wrote:
    I'm a student looking to save some money (and, more importantly, my sanity) by commuting in to London by bike rather than train approximately three times a week.

I think people may have missed this bit and the implications it holds... how many books / extras are you going to be carrying with you?

For one, I think the distance is doable. Tiring but doable.

You will need to get organised though. Carry the stuff you will need on the cycling days when you are on the train and get yourself into a routine of completing coursework at Uni rather than lugging everything back with you.

You'll also need to consider a change of clothes as well (and a shower!) so you'll need to carry minimal clothes with you and have your shower stuff at Uni.

Plan this out first and you'll be fine. Oh and learn how to make cheap energy foods :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Hope it's possible because I intend to start doing the same thing. Tried the route the other week (44 mile round trip on my road bike).

I will be cheating, though, because I'm getting an electric bike. It's probably going to be 3 days a week but I might get up to the full week. My route will be more or less flat (apart from some steps that I can only avoid with very busy, full of HGVs, roads).

I am "ahem" years old so it might be hard work even with help.
  • StephenZA
    StephenZA wrote:

I think people may have missed this bit and the implications it holds... how many books / extras are you going to be carrying with you?

For one, I think the distance is doable. Tiring but doable.

You will need to get organised though. Carry the stuff you will need on the cycling days when you are on the train and get yourself into a routine of completing coursework at Uni rather than lugging everything back with you.

You'll also need to consider a change of clothes as well (and a shower!) so you'll need to carry minimal clothes with you and have your shower stuff at Uni.

Plan this out first and you'll be fine. Oh and learn how to make cheap energy foods :wink:

Thanks, great advice. Will be able to use the lockers and showers there and if I have to carry any books back and forth I'll likely make use of the locker/commute by train. 'Tiring but doable' seems accurate.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The dual carriageway section of the A217 between Reigate and Epsom is pretty nasty in rush hour (i live in Merstham just outside Redhill). Lots of cars doing 60+ mph between the cameras and then breaking sharply (it's a 40mph limit). The intersection with the M25 can also be hairy with people a) trying to beat the lights and b) driving at such a speed that they must think their still on the motorway! So be careful.

Also, getting up Reigate Hill can be a bit of a slog!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    snipsnap wrote:
    my (full) commute is 25 miles each way. I dont do it every day both ways as can use the train and the bike users club lockers to store bike etc (or just lug it on the train!).

build up to it as others have suggested and see what your options are regarding breaking up the ride with other forms of transport.

For me, the main problem isnt the distance, it's getting the time to do it either side of the working day and the amount of kit you need for doing this level of commuting in this country with constantly changeable weather. you literally need to be prepared for anything. and washing kit over night ready for the next morning becomes a chore after a busy day and almost 50 miles on the bike.

another point is fuelling. I find that I need to snack constantly (well I do anyway) but make sure you keep your energy levels, and fluid levels up.

commutes of that distance usually knock any idea of weekend leisure riding on the head pretty quickly. depends what your meain reasons to ride are really as to how do-able it is. i found it was too much for me every day as with a young family I wanted to be home a bit sooner in the evenings to see them & help out, but fantastic way to save cash and increase fitness. also a great way to leave the working day behind before you get home from work.

good luck!

^^^^ This.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm planning on doing the Guildford-London commute (37 miles each way) but only once per week max. I think fuelling is a good point, as with over 2 hours in the saddle first thing I'm gonna need some fuel before I set out. One of those porridge packet thingys and 2 mins in the microwave should do the trick.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    I'd say do that 3 times a week max. It's not the distance thats so bad, its very possibly the hills and defiantely the start/stop nature of traffic lights and traffic. Add in the colder, windier weather and it'll be a real struggle.

But you gotta try it, it might not be half as bad as it seems!
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Def possible - loads of good advice above.

One other thing to be aware of is that you will spend quite a lot of money getting all the kit if you haven't already got it. Also some of the consumables are noticeable if you rack up the miles.

I'm not saying you won't save money but just be aware of all of the costs vs savings.

If you want I can break down some of my cost details if it would help to give you an idea. Just ask away.

TBH although I save some money (and that's only because I'm on a strict budget) it's the sanity bit the works for me :D

P.s. I'm currently riding some 200-270 miles per week commuting comfortably .. but it's taken me two years to get to this point.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Mostly as above, but just to confirm it's realistic. My commute is from Woking to Holborn, 46km (29 miles).

I can't do it every day in any case due to work arrangements and kids.

After several years, the best compromise I've found is to aim to cycle in twice a week, catching the train back, plus one day (usually Friday) doing both ways. Other days I go for a run.

Not convinced it saves a whole load of cash, once you factor in bike, parts, gear, cake, etc. But definitely better than the train every time.

Others may disagree, but for that distance I'd recommend a decent road bike.

Build up to it and listen to your body.

Worth planning out a good route that avoids slogging along busy dual carriageways, etc.
  • I have heard that one of the cheapest and best sources of energy for your commute will be a cold (or hot) jacket potato.

Its super cheap, loaded with carbs and low fat.