Other FS for just over £1000?

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Went biking tonight with my mate who told me he's looking to buy a full suspension on the next cycle to work scheme (£1000). Told him the usual one, Boardman Team FS, but he was wondering if he put another £200 - £300 towards it what he could get. Couldn't really think of anything else he could get so thought I'd ask on here. Any ideas? Think he can buy from Halfords and LBS like KMB.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I've been doing a lot of comparing recently and can't think of much he'd get that's better without going to about £1600 (or discounted 2011/2012 models online). Merida One Twenty got good reviews, but all sold out. Trance X3 has a better frame than the Boardman, but lower spec components and suspension (XC32 fork on a £1200 bike?). I bought the Team FS (last week).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Technically. he can't. The bike doesn't belong to him.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    cooldad wrote:
    Technically. he can't. The bike doesn't belong to him.

Ah didn't think of that. Wonder if he bungs the extra to the shop they'd drop the ticket price to the £1000 mark?

Don't think it will matter anyway as can't think of anything better without spending a lot more (as Kowalski said).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The scheme is been clamped down on, is technically illegal to bung them money as opens up tax and ownership issues.

The Boardman is about as good as it gets, but consider the Rockrider 9.1
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whate scheme, Halfords only do C2W through there own scheme, Decathlon through cyclescheme, no point picking a bike he can't get (unless the company actually do it themselves which is rare).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    You can't add your own money full stop, however there is technically nothing stopping a cycle 2 work scheme loaning you more than £1000. Credit above £1000 needs a consumer credit license (or whatever its called!) therefore most employers operate up to the £1k limit to negate the need for this. Also dont forget the £1000 limit is after any discount so you you could try bartering the shop down a bit.

To be honest there aren't many bikes better then the FS Team in this price bracket and is probably comparable to a lot of FS's costing a few hundred more. Up until last weekend the FS Team was on offer at £850 and its now gone up to its regular price of £999 so you may be able to pursuade your local Halfords to give a bit of discount.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Kowalski675
    Got mine at the £849.99 website price last week, but it was only at that price for a short window. They were £849.99 during bank holiday weekend in May too though, so I wouldn't rule out the price reappearing. It'll be a gamble waiting though - if you want one there's very few left.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    The Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 comes delivered at about £1100

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3025#
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    But not on the cycle to work scheme. Do keep up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    cooldad wrote:

forgot about that small part. (should be in the thread title really)

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    Yeah wouldn't want to tax your reading powers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    just sayin...

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:

And unavailable. Small and medium (and one of the two colours in large) sold out for 2013. The other colour in large and both XLs are out of stock, with supposed due dates, but the medium was listed as due back in too, but then the status changed to sold out, so it wouldn't surprise me if that happens with those remaining sizes too.
  • felix.london
    what a crap site - it doesn't show you it's sold out until you're in the checkout process!

Trek Session 8
  • Kowalski675
    what a crap site - it doesn't show you it's sold out until you're in the checkout process!

If you click on "availability" on each model's spec page it tells you what the stock supposedly is.
  • cooldad
    Be gentle, he does need a lot of care.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools