Talk to me about Garmin Forerunner.....

Corners R Us
Corners R Us Posts: 214
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
So I now have a hardtail mtb set up for mid-week road fitness rides and a full sus mtb for weekend off road fun. Oh and I occasionally run too. I was thinking about getting a puter for the road mtb then discovered the Garmin Forerunner tech! Strikes me I can wear one on my wrist for all activities. My main requirement is distance/time logging. I'm less interested in the heart monitor capability; if my heart is trying to exit my chest cavity its time to slack up a smidge!! I'm also not really one for tech for techs sake and don't even own a smartphone and even if I did I'd probably not use it to its full capability as this current tech doesn't interest me overly.....more interesting things to do with my life!!

So I think a Forerunner 10 (£99 most places) would be just the job for me? Any shortcomings for my needs? I've read various reviews that have said it can take a few mins to find its GPS signal but beyond that nothing negative.

Forum thoughts appreciated as always.

Rgds, Corners

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got a 410. £130 ish with a heart rate monitor from Amazon. It's great.
  • gkdk
    gkdk Posts: 4
    I have also go the 410 with HR and would recommend for your use. Forerunner 10 would also suit but has less functions. You should be able to get one for around £85.

I previously had a forerunner 205 and that was much slower at finding a GPS signal. The newer units are much quicker and if you have clear view to the sky and are in a regular location the fix is very quick. Good independent review here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garm ... watch.html
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I'm using a 310 at the moment and like it. Just have the unit, no HRM.

Have a look on Ebay or the classifieds here for second hand units and save a few quid.
  • Corners R Us
    Thanks for the useful pointers. I've just noticed Amazon have the 110 with HR for £85 so that might be the way to go. A bit more research required but I think this is deffo a useful bit of tech for the luddite that is Corners!!

Cheers, Corners.
  • Thanks for the useful pointers. I've just noticed Amazon have the 110 with HR for £85 so that might be the way to go. A bit more research required but I think this is deffo a useful bit of tech for the luddite that is Corners!!

Cheers, Corners.

One quick bit of advice for all garmins: on a bike it's easier to see the display when you mount the watch on your handlebars rather than on your wrist. Garmin produce an extremely expensive (for what it is) piece of plastic that allows you to do this. Alternatively buy some thick pipe lagging for a quid and cut off a 1 inch wide segment, instant handlebar mount :).
  • Corners R Us
    [/quote]One quick bit of advice for all garmins: on a bike it's easier to see the display when you mount the watch on your handlebars rather than on your wrist. Garmin produce an extremely expensive (for what it is) piece of plastic that allows you to do this. Alternatively buy some thick pipe lagging for a quid and cut off a 1 inch wide segment, instant handlebar mount :).[/quote]

:wink: Already got length of grey pipe lagging in stock for just such uses!! Thanks for the pointer though; much appreciated.

Corners