Lost my bottle today

thistle_
thistle_ Posts: 7,217
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Literally.

Was riding home from work this evening, about 8 miles into the 11 miles slog when I heard a thud and felt something hit my leg. Had a glance down to see what had happened and my bottle was missing.

Pulled over and found it about 50m back up the road in the gutter, the side a bit squashed and the top ripped as presumably the car behind ran it over. Fortunately no serious damage to me, the bike or the car (they didn't stop anyway).

I'm inclined to blame this on potholes and the generally rubbish state of the roads around here, but I'm surprised it managed to come out as it's a pretty tight fitting bottle. Something similar happened a few months back going over some large speed bumps but with a smaller bottle that rattled around in the cage.

Has anyone else had a bottle fall out mid ride and did you find out the cause?

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Hundreds. In Flanders. The bumps may have something to do with it.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    bottles, lights, pumps...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I lost mine on Saturday on the way down Wrynose pass. It was the one with my energy drink in it. I noticed it missing at the bottom of Hardknott. So I turned round and rode all the way back up Wrynose to try to find it. Needless to say it had vanished without trace. To be honest, a nearly full bottle of water ejecting at 40mph descending Wrynose could have ended up anywhere in around 100 square miles of Lake district so it was hardly suprising I couldn't find it but it was pretty annoying all the same!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Rolf F wrote:
    I lost mine on Saturday on the way down Wrynose pass. It was the one with my energy drink in it. I noticed it missing at the bottom of Hardknott. So I turned round and rode all the way back up Wrynose to try to find it. Needless to say it had vanished without trace. To be honest, a nearly full bottle of water ejecting at 40mph descending Wrynose could have ended up anywhere in around 100 square miles of Lake district so it was hardly suprising I couldn't find it but it was pretty annoying all the same!

You just posted that so we'd all think you were dead hard didn't you? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Rolf F wrote:

Mate just stop with the willy waving! :mrgreen:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I've had my rear lights break off when drafting a bus and crashing over a pothole as I was right behind the bus so no chance to swerve or anything.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • I've lost two water bottles and a tool bottle in the last month, so changed my cages to Elite Custom Race yesterday. Seem a lot more secure than the cheapo Decathlon ones I was using. Pretty sure an oncoming driver swerved to intentionally hit the tool bottle. I'm guessing he wasn't expecting there to be a chunky multitool in there!
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    My front light fell off this week. Only £17 to replace but REALLY annoying grr.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

You just posted that so we'd all think you were dead hard didn't you? :wink:

Yes! And if you were as hard as I am that you'd do that, then you'd have posted it too!

Mind you, at least I had a reason. I was looking at a mates Strava log of a Lakeland loop and discovered his had three peaks between Eskdale and Langdale (he was heading the other way) - when I looked, it turned out he'd got to the top of Hardknott and then turned round and ridden half way down again before climbing back up again!
    I've lost two water bottles and a tool bottle in the last month, so changed my cages to Elite Custom Race yesterday.

These being the ones that ejected my bottle! Mind you, I think that was a bit unusual - they should be secure most of the time.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Has anyone else had a bottle fall out mid ride and did you find out the cause?
    Quite a bad one riding Glen Einach. Cage bolts worked loose as the trail got worse, lost the bottle and pump, picked up the bottle, stuffed it and the cage in my backpack and carried on. On the way back I managed to pick up some speed as it was more down hill but hit a rock badly and got a pinch flat. That's when I realised I'd lost the pump as well, after I'd removed the tyre and gotten bitted attacked my every midge in the glen. I never had hayfever until after that trip, but now I get it all the time. Apart from the midge attack it was a lovely day to take my bike for a walk in the mountains.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.