KMC chain width - do I need a caliper?

Cormorant
Cormorant Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I recently bought a Specialized Hardrock and want to get some spare links in case of emergency. The specs for the bike say it has a KMC X-8 chain but there's an option of 7.1 or 7.3mm (see e.g. Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-78-speed-chain-links/).

Is there some clever way of working out what chain I have without going and buying a caliper to measure it? I don't think my eyes can spot 0.2mm difference on a ruler!

Thanks.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    edited July 2013
    7.3mm HG is the one you want.

edit: What do I know :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stubs wrote:
    7.1mm IG is for Shimano IG chains only dont think anyone else uses that size.
    see above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Never come across 7.1mm chains cant understand why anyone would mess about with such tiny differences I mean look at headset standards .......... Oh
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cormorant
    Cormorant Posts: 3
    Thanks all. Much appreciated. 7.3 it is.

MIght buy myself a caliper anyway, you can never have too many gadgets.