commuting and trails possibly down hill what bike????

goosebaby
goosebaby Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a bike to go on trails but also to and from work and with misses in the town
I'd also quite like a bike that might also let me do a little bit of tame down hill riding can you get something that would do for this
I recently gave up semi professional paintball and have sold most of my gear so have between 4-6 hundred maybe a touch more

As I say I don't know anything about the sport so any help would be great and am I more likely to get a better deal on somewhere like here or eBay

Many thanks paul

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you mean commuting and Downhill, no such bike. If you mean riding down some hills after you've ridden up plenty.
    See the sticky at the top of the section.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Semi pro paintball? Does that even exist and surely you are either pro or you're not.
    No bike will be good on road and downhill, my downhill bike is aweful on road and that was 10 times your budget.
    The best thing will be a budget cross country bike from Decathlon.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You get semi-pro footballers (so called boot money) so why not paint balling.....

Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 - £550

My Carrera is very similar in nature and copes just fine when the trail points down....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It depends on your definition of downhill
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    There's been so many threads with commuting and downhill in the title recently...what's going on??

They are literally the two polar opposites in the mountain biking world! There's obviously some bad information going around. A friend of a friend of mine who lives back in the UK said he'd bought a downhill bike and when he sent a photo it was a 100mm XC hardtail. Bizzare :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just search ebay for downhill. You will find everything from carbon santa cruz v10's to rusty old argos specials.
  • goosebaby
    Thanks for your advice guys I'm just looking into getting into mountain biking and literally don't know a thing at all lol I've been looking at a Scott mc genius with locking suspension not sure if any good though

I'm gonna start on tamer trails with misses and just was thinking I might be able to bike to work on it too but obviously not I've also looked at an orange ms isle

And about the paintball thing yeah semi pro
    Were not pro cos we only had one or 2 sponsors the rest was subsidised by ourselves
    Look up sup-air tournament paintball and you will see
    My brother has just started up another team so if anyone is interested give me a shout lol

Many thanks paul
  • felix.london
    Work and some 'tamer trails', yes. Harder trails and some downhill trails now and again, yes. Work & downhill trails, not really.

For your price range Decathlon's Rockrider 8.1 seems to be the go-to choice these days;

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81-2012-mountain-bike-grey-id_8168918.html

You won't get a better spec for the money on a new bike (unless you find a specific sale deal somewhere else)

You can obviously get far more for your money going used but you need to know what your looking for (or not) or you could end up with a stinker

Trek Session 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    To my mind 'semi-pro' would be someone who gets their gear paid for, but isn't salaried. Can't see why there can't be semi-pro anything frankly!
  • scottfitz
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    How about an Inbred?
    I would have it over the Decathlon.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO26INTR/ ... ntain_bike
  • felix.london
    £800 with front suspension

Trek Session 8
  • goosebaby
    £800 with front suspension

What is ????
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Inbred linked to in the post above the comment (somethings are a bit obvious!)

£700 rigid or £790 with some absorbtion.

Puts the Decathlon ahead really...lighter frame, better drivetrain (X7 to X5), better brakes (E3 to E1), same fork and £140 cheaper

Not sure why Scottfitz prefers the inbred really!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    This does make the Inbred look expensive.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • steve1200s
    steve1200s Posts: 11
    You can ride trails and a bit of 'downhill' on any mountain bike. The bike just helps you go faster and not have to get off and push over hard parts (putting it very basically).

Gary Fisher didn't need 200mm travel to enjoy hooning down hills. :wink:
    scottfitz Posts: 283
    £700 rigid or £790 with some absorbtion.
    Didn't see this bit.

OP does it have to be new?
    You can get alot of your money second hand.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There is a big difference between riding down a hill and riding downhill.
    Downhill involves big speed, big rocks, big roots and big jumps. The sort of riding that will just break anything other than a downhill or freeride bike and break the rider. Anything else is just riding down a hill on a bicycle.
    Some of the proper downhill tracks like Rheola, Mynydd Du, Super Tavi, Egypt, and Fort William you can't just ride on any bike unless you leave the track to avoid the tough bits as you need to carry a lot of speed to get through them.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Depends what goosebaby means by 'tame down hill riding'. Carrera or Boardman would also be fine.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20