The Bowland Badass is this Saturday!

Variance
Variance Posts: 130
Around 120 poor souls signed up already.

167 Miles and 18500ft climbing!!

Anyone here doing it?

Comments

• overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Next year I think I need 2 years training for it.
  • rickwiggans
    rickwiggans Posts: 416
    I shall be doing on Friday. In a van, putting signs out. And eating chips. Enjoy! (I have actually ridden it though!)

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    There's a van and chips option? Didn't say that on the entry form, I've been conned!
  • rickwiggans
    Ah yes, but to take that option you have be available on Friday, and transfer £500 to my secret bank account!

• Variance
    Looks like the weather is going to be ok too. Which is good as I don't want to be stood outside my house, marshalling at 6.30 am in the rain!
  • Escher303
    Variance wrote:
    Looks like the weather is going to be ok too. Which is good as I don't want to be stood outside my house, marshalling at 6.30 am in the rain!

God forbid! :lol: Are you serving chips as well?
  • Variance
    Bit early for chips, maybe a Bacon bun or some porridge! I'll be fueling up for my own mini Badass later the same day
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    Im trying to imagine what a marshall on the Badass looks like. It's not pleasant.

Good luck Saturday. The hills are not hard its just there are ****ing loads of them :lol:
  • Escher303
    I know every single hill quite well. Not sure if that is a good thing or not!
  • Variance
    Escher303 wrote:
    I know every single hill quite well. Not sure if that is a good thing or not!

Is this RS from Strava? PB here if it is!
  • Escher303
    Yes it is. I guessed you were probably the less sadistic PB from round these parts. and I guess the other PB is hatching some evil plan right now! I dreamt the entire route last night after going to sleep straight after the conversation on Strava. May be wise to be thinking about something else!
  • Variance
    Ha yeah. He'll be chuckling away somewhere. Maybe think about pasta before you go to bed, then it will count as carbo-loading! I'll be outside the barn @ Scorton in the morn and most likely at the Lakes doors unit at the finish so will be nice to meet you, although I forgive you in advance if you can't speak!

Are you planning to ride solo, or trying to stick with a group of other "quickies"?
  • rickwiggans
    Well whatever the Prof is up to, he wasn't at Badass Towers when I called for a brew earlier!

• Escher303
    I'll save my up my best grimace just for you!

Really not sure about a working strategy. I normally just ride at my own pace and it just happens to be reasonably quick for the amount of climbing, rather than riding to a pace that is quick on purpose, if that makes sense. Especially with climbing, you just have to ride how it feels right.

I can normally ride at the same speed all day and that works for me regardless of length or amount of ascent (at least with what I've done up to now). But the one time that hasn't worked for me was the last big ride I did last Tuesday! Felt tired after 30, really knackered after 70 and almost dead at 100 when I was over in the Dales and just had to bail and ride home. That's the first time it's ever happened, don't know if I was just having a bad day, went off too fast, didn't eat right or what? As a prep ride for the BB I went from being sure I would complete it to now being quite unsure. I normally can just keep going, and get a quite strong second wind after 100 miles, not a great time for those things to desert me!

So to cut a long story short I'll think I'll ride with the quickies and just hope I don't have a repeat of last week and my legs don't give in (the knee twinges actually came on after my energy levels totally went, so that was coincidental).

I think some of it might be psychological and I psyched myself out as my legs did seem to work better on the way home so I'll just pretend I'm out on a jolly! I'm more worried about eating breakfast at 5.30 in the morning, now that really doesn't work for me!
  • rickwiggans
    Sounds like a plan. My plan for the day is BBHQ, out to marshall, home for breakfast, nurse some B riders round the club 100 mile challenge ride, then back to BBHQ to await the cries and groans. With beer in hand!

• Variance
    I didn't know you were riding the club 100 Rick. I may tag along, especially for the beer bit later!
  • rickwiggans
    Mr and Mrs day out. Bring your new steed along, see if you can break it!

• Variance
    I may do if I don't break it tomorrow night!
  • marc9926
    marc9926 Posts: 20
    I'll be there
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    I shall be there...did a recce last Saturday with a friend who is also doing the event...blinking flip is all I can say.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    a big well done to all the finishers. The Badass is a very big day out so you all deserve a good cold beer.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    maddog 2 wrote:
    a big well done to all the finishers. The Badass is a very big day out so you all deserve a good cold beer.

Shouldnt you save your congrats till they've all finished - i'm sure you'll find a few at the side of the rode screaming for your life :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.