2nd hand fork for a GT Chucker XS1?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, ive got almost every part for my Chucker build. Just missing a fork and some other small bits that are no hassle to get.

My budget for a fork is something in the region of 60-70 quid. I think 70 would be the absolute limit, unless i find something that is unmissable. Then i could push it a bit more.

I dont know what my best bet would be with 2nd hand forks for that price. I know that Chucker XS1s originally came with Marzocchi Bombers. Ive also read some pretty good reviews on them.

I had a look at the RST Launch which is available for £50 brand new. I looked because some Chuckers came with those as standard (dont think it was the XS1) But the reviews are horrifically bad for them. Like having them snap, being really heavy, packing up after a few weeks use, and other similar poor reviews.

Am i missing any other forks? Or would a Bomber be good.

This is going to be my first bike that i will ride offroad. I wont be doing any serious jumps for the time being. And so i dont really want a jump specific fork as it wont be used to its ability. And since it is my first bike i dont want anything exceptional. Especially for my budget anyway.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The OE RST Launches are indeed horrifically bad but in their defence they don't get much worse. They're heavy (7 lbs IIRC) and the top-out clunk is like someone laying an axe into the back of your head but for me they kept going.

Later on I fitted some 100mm Society Xenos they weren't too bad for the price (£200ish new, 5.5 lbs or thereabouts). Interchangeable QR/20mm dropouts, very stiff just not particularly sophisticated http://www.societyforks.com/product.php?g=260

Have got some DJ3s on the Metro they are a bit better than the Xenos in some respects but not loads better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get yourself a set of Rockshox Toras or Recons.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For jump/urban type use I'd get some DJ's, for more general use Tora's are almost as suitable but will give a better ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Was going to recommend Toras as well, unluckily for you I sold a nice pair today for *65 but you should easily be able to find a set for under £70
  • mrbiker473
    mrbiker473 Posts: 98
    I might have some Tora 302 100mm of my Gt Avalanche if your interested, since ive not had much interest in the bike i could split it. Look in the MTB Sales for photos.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Thanks for the replies.

Judging from what TheBeginner said, i think Toras will be better. For now anyway.

mrbiker473, is the fork fully functional? I had a look through your posts to try and find the classified thread that you had mentioned, and i noticed that you had problems with it before. Is it all sorted now?
  • mrbiker473
    mrbiker473 Posts: 98
    Thanks for the replies.

Judging from what TheBeginner said, i think Toras will be better. For now anyway.

mrbiker473, is the fork fully functional? I had a look through your posts to try and find the classified thread that you had mentioned, and i noticed that you had problems with it before. Is it all sorted now?

Yeah they are fully working and running well, currently been using them in the Pyrenees for the past week and not had any issues what so ever. They are a great fork for XC and general trail riding.

The issue of the blue spacer is sorted aswell, the rubber o-rings just needed replacing which has been done.