Bang!

farrina
farrina Posts: 360
edited July 2013 in Road general
There I was going down one of my regular routes descending a rural road under trees circa 30mph, road surface not so hot when a loud bang and almost immediately I am running on my rim.

I thought for a second it was the front tyre gone (thankfully not!) as I would have been in a real pickle it if had, concentrated on letting the bike run in a straight line and gently applied the brakes, aware that as I slowed down there was a funny slapping like sound.

When I stopped and gingerly removed myself to the side of the road (not a good place to stop as a narrow bridge) and looked at my rear wheel I found this

http://sdrv.ms/12eRD2i

Consider myself fortunate as that nail was big enough to take a car tyre out never mind a bikes. The nail had punctured a neat hole through the shoulder of the tyre and thence through the tube twice before meeting the rim. Took a fair amount of force to pull out.

Managed to get home okay, but looking closely at the tyre not only is it toast where the hole was punched, but where its run flat on the rim (bit like a run flat tyre) there is side wall damage.

New tyre already ordered but can say in 30+ years of cycling (whilst I have had blow outs before) nothing on this scale.

Hopefully will be another 30 years before my next by which I should be well into my 80's

Be safe out there.

Regards

Alan

Ps if anyone cold advise as to how to embed a picture in a message rather than having to link I would be obliged.
Regards
Alan

Comments

• hatch87
    hatch87 Posts: 352
    booo

Only had one blow out, luckily going slowly up hill. No idea what caused it, but it was January so couldn't of over heated and certainly didn't find a great big nail in it!
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/686217
    Come on! You call this a storm? Blow, you son of a bitch! Blow! It's time for a showdown! You and me! I'm right here! Come and get me!
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    had the same thing with a long screw ! be more worried about that spinning round and taking carbon off my frame :shock:
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Good that you managed to come outta that one (relatively) unscathed! :D
    Cycling weakly
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    Only had one blow out, luckily going slowly up hill. No idea what caused it, but it was January so couldn't of over heated and certainly didn't find a great big nail in it!

Al-qaeda.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Thats huge didnt you see it on the road in front of you?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Image128.jpeg?psid=1
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    goonz wrote:
    Thats huge didnt you see it on the road in front of you?

I am assuming that your comment was tongue in cheek as ... :lol:

Erh no not at 30 mph .... at that speed you are lucky to spot larger road defects, certainly not nails.

Now if it had been a tack I could have claimed to be emulating the heroes of tha TdF

:D
    Regards
    Alan
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    image%20link

That will insert the image within the message.