My first 138 mile ride

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Seaside and back with my club today, stopped for about 25 minutes for some food, then had a puncture on the way home. First 68 miles were done at over 20mph average, had to slow quite a bit coming home for some of the less strong but all in all quite an achievement on a pretty flat route.

http://app.strava.com/activities/63850067

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Cracking ride and still a very respectable average.nice one.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    A trip to my home town - you lucky person :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Well done, a good ride and a nice day for it too - assuming you got back before the rain arrived? You're not too far from me and I'm hoping to do a similar trip later this year - from Bakewell to the East Coast (although we're only going one way I think...).

One question - did you start and end in the same place? It looks like you did on the map, yet Strava has you starting at a height of 430ft and finishing at a height of 330ft? 100ft difference? These GPS tracking devices seem to be pretty accurate on distance travelled, but i'm not conivnced on the elevation side of it....
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • supermurph09
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Well done, a good ride and a nice day for it too - assuming you got back before the rain arrived? You're not too far from me and I'm hoping to do a similar trip later this year - from Bakewell to the East Coast (although we're only going one way I think...).

One question - did you start and end in the same place? It looks like you did on the map, yet Strava has you starting at a height of 430ft and finishing at a height of 330ft? 100ft difference? These GPS tracking devices seem to be pretty accurate on distance travelled, but i'm not conivnced on the elevation side of it....

Yes, back before any rain. I did finish at the same place so I guess the GPS was slightly out!!
  • supermurph09
    smidsy wrote:

I sense sarcasm! what a dive, its not changed in 100 years!!!
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Yes, back before any rain. I did finish at the same place so I guess the GPS was slightly out!!

Problem with riding long days - the air pressure will change, and you may find some climbing added or taken away from your ride - especially if there was rain front coming.

Good ride though - a decent distance for sure. Well done.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    One day I'd like to be able to do 5 miles at an average speed of over 20mph!!

Awesome :)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    Can I respectfully suggest you move away from the beginners section. Cracking ride.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    smidsy wrote:

I sense sarcasm! what a dive, its not changed in 100 years!!!

Not true, they have MacDonald's AND I no longer live there - that's at least 2 changes :mrgreen:

Steels Corner House in the Market place is still a cracking Chip Shop by all accounts though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • supermurph09
    themekon wrote:
    Can I respectfully suggest you move away from the beginners section. Cracking ride.

Made me chuckle, I still have much to learn

Smidsy, like many places there are good and bad :shock: