Cervelo R3

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited July 2013 in Your road bikes
Completed Friday, tested Saturday, used properly today (182km).

IMG_0466_zps4c12fe8a.jpg

R3 2013
Rotor 3DF cranks
PraxisWorks 50/34 rings
Speedplay Ti pedals
Ultegra groupset (DA-7900 chain)
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio saddle
FSA OS99 stem
Zipp SLC2 bars
Mavic R-Sys wheels
Schwabe Ultremo ZX tyres
Jagwire cables
BBB bartape, carbon spacers and expander bung
Lifeline carbon cages
One23 Ti skewers

6.95kg with pedals and cages

All the gear and ... etc

Comments

• Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Cracking looking bike. There is something about the R3 I am constantly drawn to despite its relatively conventional and conservative styling. I am guessing its a 56? Anything bigger and I feel the head tube looks too long. There was a 2009 R3 frame on Ebay that I was watching - it went for £430. i was tempted but the colour didn't grab me and I am a wee bit nervous buying a 4 year old carbon Cervelo.

Your bike is nicely finished. the only negative for me is that I don't like the look and feel of Shimano hoods. Campagnolo for me.
  • 964cup
    Thanks. Yes, a 56, and I agree about the head tube. You can probably see that I have a fairly long stem, and a set of long reach bars to get the stretch; with the head tube on the 58 the stem would be about 2cm higher up even if I slammed it.

They're not amazing to look at, IMO, in fact I prefer the look of my Mekk Poggio, but they are astonishing to ride - the combination of stiffness in the transmission and compliance in the seatstays and seatpin is extraordinary. The handling of mine is perhaps not ideal because the hoods are so far ahead of the front axle, but it's a reasonable compromise.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I love Cervelos. I love the R3. I am not a fan of the colour ways this year though - no offence intended.

Glad you enjoy it.
  • 964cup
    I love Cervelos. I love the R3. I am not a fan of the colour ways this year though - no offence intended.

Glad you enjoy it.
    Nor am I; I nearly bought a 2012 frame just to get white and blue (same colours as my other bike), but eventually got this instead. Ultimately I expect to spend more time riding it than looking at it.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Stiff, RWD and air cooled - just like a Porsche 964 ;)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    You appear to have left a price tag on the seat post :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • 964cup
    smidsy wrote:
    You appear to have left a price tag on the seat post :-)
    :D Oh God I only wish! If SWMBO ever finds out the total cost, I'm toast. Fortunately, building it yourself means a pile of invoices rather than one big one, so I only really got it in the neck for the frameset...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    On line credit card statements and bank statements is the way to go - paperless billing is THE best invention yet :-)

Oh and I was meaning the seat post price tag - not the total bike price :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    964Cup wrote:
    Nor am I; I nearly bought a 2012 frame just to get white and blue (same colours as my other bike), but eventually got this instead. Ultimately I expect to spend more time riding it than looking at it.

Of course. It's just a shame they don't offer the frame in a matt carbon finish like the RCA :(
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    matthew h wrote:
    Stiff, RWD and air cooled - just like a Porsche 964 ;)

Love the bike and the 964, way to go air cooled- great sound!
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    It's interesting for sure, you can't argue with the build nor the weight. I like the choice of rings, very discerning.

Don't love Cervelo's high front end, it looks a bit chopper-esque, but I suppose once you cut down the steerer it'll be a bit more coherent front to rear. Right now the front looks like a 58 and the rear looks like a 54. I'm guessing you're running about a 77-78 cm saddle height?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • 964cup
    79 saddle height. Not sure I'll cut the steerer any further (it's at 240mm), to protect resale, but I'll probably drop the last spacer out as I get used to the more aggressive steering resulting from the longer reach. I'm borderline for a 58, but that has a really long headtube and would put the bars too high. The pic is a quick iPhone snap, and I wasn't square to the bike, so there's a bit of perspective distortion.
  • spittar
    spittar Posts: 1
    nice bike,whats your height?your inseam?
  • 964cup
    185cm, 86.5 inseam (6'1", 34" inseam).