Harrow Road accident today - 30/6/13

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
So i saw the aftermath of an accident on the Harrow Road today in the kilburn area.

Police cones, about a mile of the road closed and its not a small road.

Then as i got further up i saw a completely mangled bike.

then a bit further i saw a plains clothes police lady folding a sheet that was completely caked in blood.

Just did a google and got this:
The 23-year-old man was taken to a central London hospital following the collision outside a library on Harrow Road, Kensal Green, in which he suffered head injuries.

Police said they were called to the incident at around 1.15pm.

The car, which failed to stop at the scene, is believed to have collided with the cyclist from behind as he cycled past Queen’s Park Library.

The silver vehicle is said to have continued along Harrow Road before turning right onto Fifth Avenue.

Police said the car would likely have sustained “extensive damage to its windscreen and damage to its nearside wheels”, and officers are appealing for witnesses or information.

Contact the Traffic Garage at Hampton on 020 8941 9011 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/crim ... _1_2257619

Stay safe people!

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Sounds awful - especially as the car didn't stop. If we're talking about punishing drivers appropriately where they are proven to be in the wrong then those who do not stop when involved in any kind of accident deserve a special cell-block all of their own..... preferably one without a key.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    My mate got pushed into the side today, he hit a tree (shoulder), hope he is OK too. Car similarly drove off without stopping.
    This seems to be pretty regular now,I would be in for harsher punishment for hit-and-run drivers.
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Sounds awful - especially as the car didn't stop. If we're talking about punishing drivers appropriately where they are proven to be in the wrong then those who do not stop when involved in any kind of accident deserve a special cell-block all of their own..... preferably one without a key.....
    People panic. I heard about a car driver that wrecked his car bad (probably flipped it into a ditch or something like that). He ran off and was found shaking in a bush nearby.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    People panic. I heard about a car driver that wrecked his car bad (probably flipped it into a ditch or something like that). He ran off and was found shaking in a bush nearby.

Appreciate that, but to be involved in an incident where someone else may be injured and knowingly drive off suggests a strong element of 'guilt' and/or culpability, usually involving being over the alcohol limit/no license/no insurance/stolen car etc etc.....
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Hope the cyclist recovers, that's appalling.
    Regarding panic, this may well happen but most normal people would then experience remorse and would go back or turn themselves in very quickly. Some people may worry more about what would happen to them and try to cover up what they have done, or realise later they are not going to get away with it and turn themselves in to try and limit the consequences to themselves. The latter types deserve to be hung from a tall tree.
  • Mr.Duck
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Appreciate that, but to be involved in an incident where someone else may be injured and knowingly drive off suggests a strong element of 'guilt' and/or culpability, usually involving being over the alcohol limit/no license/no insurance/stolen car etc etc.....
    You cannot infer anything like no insurance, drink driving, etc just because they ran. Even if everything is kosha, you still can face financial liabilities and persecution for causing an accident.

Hanging someone for fleeing after a road traffic incident would be crazy extreme.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    You cannot infer anything like no insurance, drink driving, etc just because they ran. Even if everything is kosha, you still can face financial liabilities and persecution for causing an accident.

Hanging someone for fleeing after a road traffic incident would be crazy extreme.

nah hang the funkers!

seriously though...had they stopped immediately, phoned an ambulance straight away and did what they can in the meantime then maybe the cyclist would have a better chance of survival?

Pretty unforgiveable to not do that for the sake of losing a no claims bonus.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

So how long do you think is a reasonable time for post-traumatic stress to wear off and for the driver to report to a police station?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    kelsen wrote:
    So how long do you think is a reasonable time for post-traumatic stress to wear off and for the driver to report to a police station?
    In this case I'd say 60 seconds thinking time. They reckon the windscreen of the car would have been damaged. I think most people would realise pretty quickly after seeing someone bouncing off their windscreen that it is not good for a person's health and concern for the well being of another human being should kick in. Much longer than that and I think it's fair to say the driver is a waste of skin that has no place in society.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

nah hang the funkers!

seriously though...had they stopped immediately, phoned an ambulance straight away and did what they can in the meantime then maybe the cyclist would have a better chance of survival?

Pretty unforgiveable to not do that for the sake of losing a no claims bonus.

The only consolation (small as it is by comparison) being that if they're now caught, they potentially face a custodial sentence for failing to stop, failing to report etc etc
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    spasypaddy wrote:
    So i saw the aftermath of an accident on the Harrow Road today in the kilburn area.

Police cones, about a mile of the road closed and its not a small road.

Then as i got further up i saw a completely mangled bike.

then a bit further i saw a plains clothes police lady folding a sheet that was completely caked in blood.

Just did a google and got this:
    The 23-year-old man was taken to a central London hospital following the collision outside a library on Harrow Road, Kensal Green, in which he suffered head injuries.

Police said they were called to the incident at around 1.15pm.

The car, which failed to stop at the scene, is believed to have collided with the cyclist from behind as he cycled past Queen’s Park Library.

The silver vehicle is said to have continued along Harrow Road before turning right onto Fifth Avenue.

Police said the car would likely have sustained “extensive damage to its windscreen and damage to its nearside wheels”, and officers are appealing for witnesses or information.

Contact the Traffic Garage at Hampton on 020 8941 9011 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
    http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/news/crim ... _1_2257619

Stay safe people!

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

perhaps I should just buy that second car...
  • Mr.Duck
    Well sure. But you talk as though we are all calm, rational, responsible, adults. Few people are.
    kelsen wrote:
    I don't know. It must vary depending on the person and their mental state. Once they get home they probably won't want to report it because of the financial and criminal consequences.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    Mr.Duck wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

My experience of these type of situations, most people will 'panic/shock'. The ones that run off - many have something to hide... no licence/insurance/MOT etc.
    They will be prosecuted rather than persecuted for their misdemeanours...