Ferry to Corsica

Nic Hill
Nic Hill Posts: 9
edited August 2013 in Tour & expedition
hi folks

The wife and I are going to Corsica at the end of september for a couple of weeks.

Do we need to book the ferry in advance(is it cheaper) or can we just rock up on the day

looking to try and keep some flexability

cheers

Nic

p.s. any tips on routes on places to stay welcome too ;-)

Comments

• Can't help with the ferry, but when I looked at it last week the ferry seemed to be extremely good value for money (perhaps subsidised?).

'Cyclist' did a good write up in the latest edition and mentioned a blog http://www.corsicacyclist.com/ which has plenty of info on routes. Or have a look on strava to see what the locals are up to.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    edited July 2013
    i took the ferry from Nice to bastia back in 2009 (May).

I was in Nice early and bought the ticket the day before, as it was said to be cheaper.

It's seriously doubtful that the ferry willl be fully booked in Sept, as children will be back at school then.

There are two companies - I paid 20 euros one way.

On the way back - from Bastia to Toulon - it was luck that I rode into the port just as there was a boat leaving. It was an overnight one, so I saved on a hotel room.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • cycladelic
    Nic

I was there for about two weeks. You will find my route, photos and some bits of useful info here:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 6329&v=1Bs

I recall route D5 being really nice.

Cap Corse is wonderful too. There's a B&B in a dinky port called Centuri, near the northern tip.

The east coast is said to be boring, so maybe stay clear.

The local beer is nice - Pietra I think its called - made from chestnuts.

Are you camping, or doing it all with a credit card?
  • Nic Hill
    Thanks for the responses

Yes it will be credit card tour as too much of a faff to take all the kit on sleasyjet, and it looks a bit lumpy to be fully ladened!!

We are planning to do Nice - Bastia round the Cap Corse then down to Calvi-Ille Rousse-Adjeccio then if possible train back to Corte then ferry back from either Calvi or Bastia back to Nice

Will have a look at your route and looking forward to a Pietra or two ;-)

Nic
  • cycladelic
    Nic

Once you've looked at the blog, ask away if you have any questions.

Dave and I only used the tents a couple of times. He was on a budget. There was just one night we could't find an empty room, but we were in a fairly remote spot.

I noted that we paid 50 euros in Centuri for a compact twin roon. It was no 5-star hotel, but the location was great.

Our route included the places you've mentioned, so the blog should be of some relevance.
  • Nic Hill
    Just had a look through and it looks amazing and stunningly beautiful

We go mid september so hopefully the roads will be quite and the hotels will still be open.

I looked at the ferries online but they semed to be about 35 euros each way?

We also want to do some diving whilst we are over there in Calvi or Bastia.

Will try and pick up a copy of the cyclist as well.

We only have 11 days really once you've taken out the flights and ferry travel

Good to hear the transfer from the Nice airport to town is easy as well.

Can you remember where you stayed in Bastia? We were considering travelling up to Erbulunga (sp?) on the first day after the ferry crossing and looking at Bastia on the way back.

Can you take a bike on the train do you know? Seems conflicting info online

Thanks for the inspiration

will be back in touch

Nick
  • cycladelic
    Our ferry docked around 7pm going from memory. It was a scamble, as many passengers were looking for a room. We got one OK near the centre - there are quite a few to choose from. It's just a ten-minute ride from the port.

The best bars are dotted around the Old Port - you can see the photos on the blog.

I think we visited that place - Erbulunga - but it seemed very small. I'm not sure there were too many B&Bs. Maybe best to check online. It depends what time your ferry docks. The first 5km or so north out of Bastia were busy and not what I would want to do in the dark - zero shoulder and fast traffic. After that the cars disappeared.

Maybe the ferries have gone up in price since 2009, but thirty-odd euros is still reasonable. You can also fly direct from the UK.
  • cycladelic
    PS - no idea about the train and bike situation. Sorry.
  • Nic Hill
    Hi cycladelic

Unfortunately Easy jet stop the flights from Manchester in mid september and the nice flights go back to liverpool so can't even do a mix and match as our car will be at the wrong airport ;-)

with regard to the ferry I guess I'm asking is it cheaper to book online or just turn up?

Nick
  • cycladelic
    Not sure, but my guess is you'll save a fiver each, tops.

I see Ryanair fly from Luton to the south of Corsica (Alghero), although I just tried 'booking' a flight but got no joy.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There are two ferry companies. The French SNCM sail out of Marseille. There's also the Italian Corsica Ferries/ Sardinia Ferries operating out of Nice/Toulon. The Italian company is privately-owned and in a lot of ways reminded me of Easyjet/Ryanair (eg bright yellow ships). I suspect they would operate a fare structure like the low-cost airlines.
  • So guys Flight booked, Nice hotel booked, ferry booked (14:15 sailing from Nice) and bike serviced ;-)

just need to book a hotel in Bastia and we are good to go, any thoughts?

the "plan" is cap corse down to Calvi then Adjechio(sp??) then train or ride back(time depending)

cheers
    Nick