Alpine Hardtail

OrangeFTW
OrangeFTW Posts: 11
edited June 2013 in MTB general
Hi, do you think I could ride the alps on my Orange crush 2012?
It has 140mm Fox floats so do you think it has enough travel so I don't die?

Thanks

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    hi , you can defo ride the alps on your bike,a mate rode morzine/les gets on an old planet x dakota ,with some zocchi dirt jumpers in it,he kept up with most of us riding 7-8 inch travel bikes for the most,only when it came really rough we would pull away,advise is bigger rotors 203 front 180 rear if specs let you,and 2.25-2.35 tyres with a heavier weight tube less punctures,otherwise you should be fine
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    I have an Orange Crush 2012 custom build , mine has RockShox pikes (140mm) rather than fox and i ride Absolutely everything on mine, Like Eric said , whack some thinker inner-tubes in some beefy tyres and you will be flying ! And you will beat your mates on there full sus on the up's ;)
  • OrangeFTW
    OrangeFTW Posts: 11
    Cheers that really helps. Il have much more confidence now!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I've been riding my 2006 Rockhopper up and down Alps for 3 summers now. 120mm Reba, SLX brakes stopping 2x 180mm rotors, a pair of Black Chili tyres and I can tackle most stuff without too many problems. And as above - the big, long climbs are great on a hardtail
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    No worries ! :), On another note id really recommend going down to somewhere like the MBR trail, with your bike full kitted out for the alps and give it a good battering, just to make sure your happy with your set up before the big trip ! all the best :)