Thin strips of sticky tape - but where do they go...?

bigbobbyfrog
bigbobbyfrog Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
I took delivery of my Ribble Gran Fondo last week and am in the process of putting the last bits on it. Included within the accessories were two thin strips of sticky tape but I have no idea where they are supposed to go.

D56C2E8D-0510-4478-8C7C-C2C9DC7973A0-3479-0000022E0E28CDF8_zpsd48ca861.jpg

These are the items in question - the two plastic parts I know are for adjusting brakes/gears and the saddle stem bracket was obvious so those mysteries have been solved. But I'm still none the wiser on where the black strips go.

Do these go around the handlebar before I attach it to the stem? Or does a little grease ensure that there is no metal on metal scraping between the two?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    the tape is from the bar tape kit that they used to build the bike. they did not use it and probably used insulation tape instead.
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    Are you sure they don't go on the chain stay to protect the frame from chain slap?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They are for terminating the bar tape. They're too thin to stand up to the chain; you want helicopter tape for that job.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They are for gagging the mrs when she nags you for buying a new bike.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    NapoleonD wrote:

Look too narrow for that? Like using steri strips on someone who's lost a leg.

Anyway, it's the 21st century; it ain't green to throw away tape every time you break her rules; get a ball gag and reuse.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks for the help - thought they might be spares but none of the instruction manuals for the various bits of kit mentioned them so I was in the dark.

Was holding off on putting on the handlebars before I knew what they were for so can complete the build tonight.

Will keep the gagging idea as a potential use, they are too thin though.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    They may be for protecting the headstock from the cables rubbing, how many spacers you leave under the stem will determine where the cables sit.
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    NapoleonD wrote:

still chuckling lol...
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211