Thumb or grip shifters

Justlearning1965
Justlearning1965 Posts: 81
edited July 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys, Got a rear and front mech ( sram x9). Need some shifters.
Using Shimano deore thumb shifter at mo.
Unfortunately they wont work with sram.
So your thoughts on thumb vs grip.
All the best.
Max

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Trigger (or thumb if you like) all the way unless you are being very old school and suggesting the old non indexed style thumb shifters but I think you will struggle to find them.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I like Gripshifters but unfortunately SRAM only seem to sell them in the X0 which is a pity because they are lovely to use with on my relatively short ride with them no mis shifts. At about £170 a pair compared to say XT triggers for £60 I just couldnt face the thought of buying, lovely works of engineering though. Maybe when I finally run out of 9 speed bits I will go for them.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    9 speed X0 grip shift is cheap, and great. Personal though at the end of the day.
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Which do you like best?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have gripshifts on my commuter (SRAM X0 with an X9 mech) and thumb shifters on the MTB (Shimano), would I have gripshifts on the MTB?
    Plusses - lighter, change gear with a better grip remaining on the bars
    Minus - not comfy for everyone to hold it while pedaling as they are quite fat compared to a grip, although you could do like Doddy did (MBUK) and use full length grips and cut the shifter short. you need to be wary of moving the brakes too far inboard to help, also if you are a middle (rather than index finger) braker you may trap the index finger on the fat shifter.

If I was running a SRAM rear mech I would certainly try Gripshifts and they can be found quite cheap now as njee has said.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes Posts: 295
    Use both - I do! (look carefully)

p4pb8883190.jpg

The XO gripshift is light, uncomplicated and you can change from top to bottom gear in the flick of the wrist, no repeated thumb pumping.
    However, I use an XO trigger shifter for the front. I run a double chainset so don't need the massive 'throw' of the gripshift. One gear up and one gear down; the triggers are perfect for this.
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • Thanks for the help guys.
    I will go with grip shifters and see how i get on.
    All the best
    Max
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I have gripshifts on my commuter (SRAM X0 with an X9 mech) and thumb shifters on the MTB (Shimano), would I have gripshifts on the MTB?
    Plusses - lighter, change gear with a better grip remaining on the bars
    Minus - not comfy for everyone to hold it while pedaling as they are quite fat compared to a grip, although you could do like Doddy did (MBUK) and use full length grips and cut the shifter short. you need to be wary of moving the brakes too far inboard to help, also if you are a middle (rather than index finger) braker you may trap the index finger on the fat shifter.

If I was running a SRAM rear mech I would certainly try Gripshifts and they can be found quite cheap now as njee has said.
    what sort of tard would brake with their middle finger???
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I do, ever since I started riding motorcycles before you were born.
    As you are obviously an expert on fingers, why not?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    However, I use an XO trigger shifter for the front. I run a double chainset so don't need the massive 'throw' of the gripshift. One gear up and one gear down; the triggers are perfect for this.

I disagree, the front mech is where gripshift is particularly good, you can trim the front mech, so it never rubs.
  • The Rookie
    dusk wrote:
    what sort of tard would brake with their middle finger???
    Lots of people do, so stop being a 'tard.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    njee20 wrote:

I disagree, the front mech is where gripshift is particularly good, you can trim the front mech, so it never rubs.

I think the newer XO and XX gripshifts dont have this anymore.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    9 speed X0 certainly does, so unless the OP doesn't buy as a pair.....
  • njee20
    10 speed don't, but I assumed we were talking 9 speed...
  • Daerve
    Daerve Posts: 33
    I personally think grip shifts are the spawn of satan but each to their own.

As for middle finger braking, I must be a tard too cos I always use the middle finger.
  • mattbarnes
    njee20 wrote:

Nah. I don't want to faff about having to trim the front mech. I just want to push the lever and forget about it.
    I personally think grip shifts are the spawn of satan but each to their own.

A little harsh. Now Shimano Dual-control brakes/shifters however...
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • The Rookie
    mattbarnes wrote:

Nah. I don't want to faff about having to trim the front mech.
    I'm guessing you've never actually tried one then?
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes wrote:

Nah. I don't want to faff about having to trim the front mech.
    I'm guessing you've never actually tried one then?

You guess wrong. I have tried one, hence the reason I use a trigger shifter!
  • The Rookie
    Strange, as I had no issue twisting just past the 2 mark to shift, back to the mark to remove rub and then trim if necesary, but we are all different!
  • Hi guys.

After a break of many years I got back into cycling (bought myself a cheap mountain bike ~ bog monster sort of thing), I couldn't get used to the grip shifter thingies as they mostly seemed 'out of reach' and I had to move hand position to change gears (probably my riding style). I changed them about 3 months ago for thumb shifters and to be honest I wont be looking back to grip shifters any time soon, once I got them set correctly they just feel 'right' ..... move a lever ~ press a button .... absolutely brilliant.

As for the breaking, I use my two middle fingers and find this combination with the thumb shifters means I'm not having to change hand positions unnecessarily.