Voodoo Bokor knocking sound from the pedal

user11883
user11883 Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I bought a Voodoo Bokor off ebay a few months ago. The bike was stock and didn't come with any manuals.

It developed a knocking sound on the left pedal recently. It's happening only if I pedal down hard, and when the pedal is slightly after the top position. Otherwise it's pretty much silent.

I've taken a sound recording of it inside a parking garage. I was using the brakes and pedalling hard.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0S5JGbnnz7W

I'm wondering what might be wrong with it?

Unfortunately, I don't have any tools apart from a Leatherman and a multi tool allen wrench, which I know is silly for someone who owns a mountain bike. I haven't had the bike for long and didn't need tools before. I'm thinking of buying one of those 50 or 100 piece tool sets from Halfords or somewhere similar. What are your thoughts on that?

Moss

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the crank is loose, not sure what is fitted to the Bokor but look for the manuals on the relavant website and fix it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • user11883
    user11883 Posts: 3
    I've had a chance to spend a bit of time on it yesterday. I always suspected the pedal itself to be the culprit and it seems that it is.

I've removed the left pedal from the crank and attached one from another bike and the noise disappeared completely.

I took the pedal apart, just to see its construction, put it back together, and then thought, what the hell, I'll give it try, and it worked! It's all quiet now.