Changing Inner Tubes

iGlaswegian
iGlaswegian Posts: 87
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
So i've managed to burst 2 perfectly brand new inner tubes after I caved in as my fingers had enough (resorted in using tyre levers).

So yeah, its that final part of the tyre which needs to get in the rim and despite me using my full force it just won't bloody go in. Adding insult to injury, watched a couple of youtube videos where they made it out to be a piece of cake.

Are there any tips on how to get that final part of tyre to sit in the rim? I've tried applying some soapy water to the rim so it can slip in (its helped slightly) but I still can't seem to feel my fingers. Surely it can't be this difficult. I know im doing something wrong.

Are there any recommended videos you peeps would advise?

p.s. the air pressure inside the tube is totally flat. Should this be inflated? Im thinking if it is, its just going to make it even more difficult to get in.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The middle of the rim is the smallest circumference so try to have the tyre bead (that is already on the rim) there rather than at the edge of rim as this will make things a little easier when you are getting the last bit on.
    I put a bit of air in to straighten out tube and prevent it from getting trapped, but let it out again if it is then stopping bead from being able to sit in centre of rim.

Start fitting from valve hole, make sure valve is pushed into rim/tyre around there so that it is not holding tyre off rim, and aim to finish well away/opposite side from valve hole.

Is it a new tyre or one that has been worn in a little.

It often seems like they are not going on but its often easier than it looks if you just work at it. Should only need a bit of help from levers if at all. I use Tacx ones now which have a lip on the edge and helps to make sure you only catch edge of tyre and not tube.
    You should not need to use too much force, its more about technique than brute force. Do not use any soap.

Tyre changing can be a bit like hill climbing, half the battle is the right state of mind :wink:
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    How easy the whole process can be depends very much on the tyre rim combination. Continental recommend that you start opposite the valve, getting the tyre bead well down inside the well of the rim and and finish by pushing the valve up inside the tyre - they show this on video on their website.
  • Aha!

It is indeed a contintental tyre. I started from the value and worked my way around (the general consensus amongst youtube videos). Will give their website a go.

Much appreciated guys - thank you.

@Carbinator - its a used tyre, good nick tho (I think).

What is the cause of burst/punctured tubes - is it purely down to not maintaining a good pump prior to the ride which causes sharp objects to get in?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thinking about it I might try to end near (but not at) the valve hole from now on.
    I only start from there to make sure that bit is seated properly and valve is straight, but if tyre is going to be tight then it makes sense to have more room there.
    I would not try to get last bit of bead over around the stem though. It would seem to over complicate things to me.

If the tyre is used I would have thought it would be slightly easier than when new?

Are you getting the punctures when fitting tyres or when riding?

If its riding they may be pinch punctures if pressure is too low. The tyre/tube are being pushed against the rim (when you hit a pothole etc.) and pinching tube.
    If its that the tube will have a split (or two) rather than a hole.

Make sure you keep a decent pressure for every ride.
    If you top up and use a push on pump, make sure you do not push the valve stem in hard as you may rip the tube where the valve attaches.
    If its a threaded valve it s best to have the retaining nut on when pushing pump on.
    This and converting a schrader hole to fit presta valve stem are the only uses for it though :lol:

Maybe practice fitting the tyre without a tube to hone your technique.
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    End at the valve and then if it's trapped under the bead push up on the valve and viola!
  • swede54
    swede54 Posts: 20
    I find it easier to push the whole tyre across the rim, and the bead will follow, rather than try to push the last bit of bead up the side of the rim.