Why does no one seem to recommend Campagnolo wheels?

2»

Comments

• skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    I've got a Cinelli Experience Veloce with Miche Excite wheels.

After reading this I'm very interested in the Zonda's. Would this be a noticeable upgrade?
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    the only issue I've had with campag wheels has been replacement spokes. Popped one on my rear neutron and took ages for LBS to source spares (and he said it had to be original part as others wouldn't fit - Paul Hewitt so I trusted him!)

I've also had zondas. Got hit practically head on by a car a few years back. Snapped the forks, frame a write off me fractured vertebrae but front wheel was as true as the day it was built. Had it checked, no issues. So it still got used for another year or two without any problems. Its now a spare cross wheel
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    +1 for the Zondas, they are a fantastic wheel.

A couple of months ago I hit a dog which decided to run out in front of me. I ended up with broken ribs and a collapsed lung, the front left part of the fork snapped and the left shifer was beyond repair but my wheels are as true as the day I bought them!!! I am not sure whether my Mavic RSYS with their carbon spokes would have withstood the same impact that's for sure.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want to know why the difference in price between Fulcrum and Campagnolo wheels - simple, Fulcrum's UK distributors setting artificially high RRP's for the UK market. There's far more competition for Campagnolo wheels in the UK and therefore the prices are better. You can buy Shimano freehubs for most models.

Anyone that says Mavic support is better know's diddly - try getting spares for a Mavic wheel after 5 years and you'll find they've discontinued them - so much for customer loyalty.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gfk_velo
    gfk_velo Posts: 78
    Serviceability is not a huge problem.

We stock spoke sets and rims and all the hub parts - where we don't have it, we can usually source it directly from Vicenza so long as the factory have it - our order cycle is two-weekly.

Like many factory built, low spoke-count wheels, spoke replacement is not a simple job but we have a fairly quick turnaround if a problem occurs in the first three years of the wheel's life (spoke replacements have to be done by us to preserve the warranty) ... if a wheel is crashed and the warranty voided, we offer training to our dealers and in many cases they have staff skilled to make a repair and get owners back on the road as soon as possible.

Warranty on the wheels is, as implied above, three years (abuse, mis-use & wear and tear are obviously excepted).

Zonda is probably the wheel we see back least often for any reason, repair or warranty.

Just a note - there are a lot of parts in common between Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels but they are not, as has been pointed out, the same product - the rims and spokes differ between Fulcrum and Campagnolo, and there are subtle differences in the hubs in many cases which reflect the differences in the rims (spoke sapcings are different so spoke seats in the hubs also differ).

Quality standards and hand lacing and tensioning / truing are the same in both cases though.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Was thinking about this recently - tempted by a Cinelli but would need Campag-compliant wheels

What's the weight limit on the Zondas? They look excellent value, but I'm fat :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gryfon23
    gryfon23 Posts: 64
    Another fan of Campag wheels. I've found the very old Neucleons and Sirroccos and Zondas to be extremely reliable, they also ride very nicely (Neucleons especially) much more so than a pair of ksyriums I once had of a comparable model.

Great wheels and great value on these models. Would love some deep sections but the Bora's are too much so it will probably handbuilts for those.

Happy riding.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have had Campag Shamals, Ultra Neutrons, Ultra Bullets, Ultra Bora's, Eurus, and my kids have Zondas and Fulcrum 3's and none of us have ever had to true a wheel.

Unlike my Zipp 303's which I consider a pile of junk in comparison.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    gfk_velo wrote:
    Serviceability is not a huge problem.

We stock spoke sets and rims and all the hub parts - where we don't have it, we can usually source it directly from Vicenza so long as the factory have it - our order cycle is two-weekly.

Like many factory built, low spoke-count wheels, spoke replacement is not a simple job but we have a fairly quick turnaround if a problem occurs in the first three years of the wheel's life (spoke replacements have to be done by us to preserve the warranty) ... if a wheel is crashed and the warranty voided, we offer training to our dealers and in many cases they have staff skilled to make a repair and get owners back on the road as soon as possible.

Warranty on the wheels is, as implied above, three years (abuse, mis-use & wear and tear are obviously excepted).

Zonda is probably the wheel we see back least often for any reason, repair or warranty.

Just a note - there are a lot of parts in common between Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels but they are not, as has been pointed out, the same product - the rims and spokes differ between Fulcrum and Campagnolo, and there are subtle differences in the hubs in many cases which reflect the differences in the rims (spoke sapcings are different so spoke seats in the hubs also differ).

Quality standards and hand lacing and tensioning / truing are the same in both cases though.

what price zonda rims and nipples?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I've got a Cinelli Experience Veloce with Miche Excite wheels.

After reading this I'm very interested in the Zonda's. Would this be a noticeable upgrade?

I ride an Xperience with Zondas. Yes it is noticeable - 300g off wheels always is.

Another +1 Zondas are ace. The latest model with the slimmer spokes are also far less affected by crosswinds (my previous fulcrum 3s were prone to this). I paid £242 from ribble on an offer last autumn :D
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Just to update this, I have just ordered some from Evans with discount code and through quidco for circa £255.

Looking forward to taking delivery in 4 weeks or so.

Quick question, do new wheels come with skewers?
    Bought some RS30's and they seemed not to.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    Daniel B wrote:
    Just to update this, I have just ordered some from Evans with discount code and through quidco for circa £255.

Looking forward to taking delivery in 4 weeks or so.

Quick question, do new wheels come with skewers?
    Bought some RS30's and they seemed not to.

Normally Campagnolo wheels will come with Campagnolo skewers, which are excellent (except the low end ones, which somehow seem to have adopted the terrible external cam ones)
    left the forum March 2023
  • I ride an Xperience with Zondas. Yes it is noticeable - 300g off wheels always is.

Another +1 Zondas are ace. The latest model with the slimmer spokes are also far less affected by crosswinds (my previous fulcrum 3s were prone to this). I paid £242 from ribble on an offer last autumn :D

Great stuff. Thanks a lot.

That's my mind made up and will be taking the plunge I think.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I upgraded my stock wheels on my Caad8 at the end of June to a set of Zondas. I went with them initially for the weight and the G3 spoke pattern.

Im pretty new to cycling but the difference they have made was unreal and they feel so much quicker than the stock wheels i had.

I stuck a set of black and white Fortezza Tricomp tyres on them and they look amazing !!

And mine DID come with new Campy scewers.

Enjoy the wheels
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt