Starship Troopers

MarksMintness
MarksMintness Posts: 484
edited July 2013 in The cake stop
Such a ridiculous but fantastic film! Great stuff...
Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!

Comments

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Gotta love films where it takes all the firepower in the world to simply overcome one alien creature and even then it's only just achievable. And yet when absolutely overrun by the same creature, guts and glory somehow are enough to save the day.
    Enjoyable romp with no shortage of humour though. Much more appealing than many that take themselves too seriously.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Yeah it was great when it came out,i have not watched it for a while but i'm sure it has stood up ok,have you tried 2 and 3?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    boobs
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399
    Rasczak: Dips two fingers into scull. "They sucked his brains out."

Brilliant :lol:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Yeah it was great when it came out,i have not watched it for a while but i'm sure it has stood up ok,have you tried 2 and 3?
    No but I saw a small clip once and it looked a bit gash. Surely wouldn't compare well with the first which is classic!
    Would you like to know more? Brilliant
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Yeah it was great when it came out,i have not watched it for a while but i'm sure it has stood up ok,have you tried 2 and 3?
    No but I saw a small clip once and it looked a bit gash. Surely wouldn't compare well with the first which is classic!
    Would you like to know more? Brilliant

True, i thought 3 with Casper making a return was ok and better than 2 but worth a go anyway if you get the chance for free on Sky.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I think it was based on a science fiction written around the time of the Vietnam war and is meant to be a bit anti-militaristic. Or I could be attributing more weight to it than it deserves!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I think it was based on a science fiction written around the time of the Vietnam war and is meant to be a bit anti-militaristic. Or I could be attributing more weight to it than it deserves!

Paul Verhoeven having a bit of fun a la Robocop isn't it. Strong anti-fascist message throughout. Or is it pro-fascist? You decide!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Sorry, just checked and that's rubbish! Written in 1960 by a guy who was accused of being PRO-military and slightly fascist too! Robert Heinlein - a big name in sci-fi but the only book of his I read was absolutely dire.

Whata-mistakea to makea!
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Sorry, just checked and that's rubbish! Written in 1960 by a guy who was accused of being PRO-military and slightly fascist too! Robert Heinlein - a big name in sci-fi but the only book of his I read was absolutely dire.

Whata-mistakea to makea!
    The film is pretty much nothing like the book though.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    rodgers73 wrote:

Whata-mistakea to makea!

Met a guy on my OU studies once who enthused about the book and would recommend it to anyone who hadn't read it as I think his take on it was that you couldn't have a vote in society unless you were prepared to enact all the consequential decisions yourself, ie you vote for war then you should be prepared to go to war personally. Isn't that what the passages regarding citizenship are about? Something along the lines you can't be a liberal and want to turn the other cheek and still have a vote? It's been a while since I read it myself so I'm a little sketchy on it too.

The chap was in his 60's and had no clue about modern directors or who Paul Verhoven may be so he went to the cinema in the full expectation he was going to see a serious take on the book and it's themes...needless to say he left long before the end rather disgusted!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Brilliant cheeseful parody with layers of political contradictions obscured by the eye candy.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Loved the first one, not fussed about the others but will watch them if nothing else is on. Dina Meyer is definately on my list.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Pretty entertaining the first one. Not too fussed about the second 2. Looked low budget tat.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875