Route Advice - MCN Piccadilly to Media City

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Any mancunian types know the best route from Manchester Piccadilly station to Media City?

Cheers.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• asprilla
    Oh, and while I'm here; Waterloo to Euston is just over Waterloo Bridge, Aldwych and then up Kingsway innit?

Or is there something I'm missing?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Asprilla wrote:
    Yes, different cities! Looking at the time, was this a drunk post?
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Get off at Oxford Road if you go through it. Ride down Whitworth Street, thenturn left at Deansgate Station (if your train stops there, get off there). Down the A56 (Chester Road/Bridgewater Way) and turn left at Old Trafford or just before it. Along Trafford Wharf Road and over the bridge at the Imperial War Museum North. That was my daily commute route, and although the A56 is a dual carriageway, its relatively quiet (was for me during weekly commute times, anyway).

If you do have to get off at Piccadilly, then left out of the station road, down London road, right up Fairfield Street and along Whitworth Street as previously described. Actually, it seems you can't turn right from London Road into Fairfield Street if you're on the roads, but I'd get off and walk across the junction.

Basically this route, without the peculiar doubling back at the start.

http://goo.gl/maps/U5TuA

I happen to have a video of that route (from Oxford Road to MCUK), so you can see what it's like if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxTxjyr8a8 (taken with a Muvi, so not great quality. Also, turned out the bridge was closed that day, hence the detour at the end.)

That's what I'd do anyway - it's on main roads and fairly direct, at least seemed it to me. Maybe could cut down other streets if I knew Manchester better (I know you asked for local knowledge). Looks like the A57 Regent Road might be shorter, but that turns into the M602 so might be busier.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • asprilla
    kelsen wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Yes, different cities! Looking at the time, was this a drunk post?

Only one person was drinking from the bottle when this post was made and it wasn't me.

Different cities, yes, but I've been told I have to get the train for my weekly sojourn to Media City rather than flying so I'm taking my Brompton and riding the bits I can.

Unfortunately the only place the train stops is Piccadilly, unless you count Crewe and Stoke, but I'll see if I can adapt the route.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Asprilla wrote:
    Unfortunately the only place the train stops is Piccadilly, unless you count Crewe and Stoke, but I'll see if I can adapt the route.

Not much adaptation needed, as I already factored that into my answer. Getting from Piccadilly to Oxford Road is pretty straightforward. However, this route might be even more simple (I've never ridden down Stretford Road, but it looks OK). http://goo.gl/maps/OVT89
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I used to go in from North Mcr so just went up Chapel St but from Piccadilly I would probably go:

Whitworth St
    Turn right on to Oxford St (not Road)
    Then left onto Chepstow St and Gt Bridgewater St along down the side of the Hilton
    Straight over at the lights down Liverpool Rd to the bottom & turn right
    Turn almost immediate left - this is (I think) called Hampson St. It is a dead end bridge for cars but will take you over the river. There is a bike chicane at the end that will take you to Trinity Way. Cross over at the ped/bike crossing.
    Go up the road opposite and take the next left under the bridge up to Sainsburys & get in the middle lane - easier than it sounds.
    Over the lights and down Ordsall Lane to the bottom. Get in the right hand lane - again pretty easy as most are turning left.
    Turn right down Trafford Rd. Quays are on your left - either turn at the old Dock office and go through the Quays or carry up to the lights further on with the school on your left and turn here.
    This will bring you to a roundabout - take the second exit and it will bring you out at Booths.

Will also PM you with a name of a colleague who does the Brompton thing from Piccadilly who comes in from Wilmslow.

Surprised you've got away with flying up for so long!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • asprilla
    Agent57 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Not much adaptation needed, as I already factored that into my answer. Getting from Piccadilly to Oxford Road is pretty straightforward. However, this route might be even more simple (I've never ridden down Stretford Road, but it looks OK). http://goo.gl/maps/OVT89

Sorry, I replied before I'd look at the map and I realise you have done the whole thing for me. Cheers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • It may not be the most direct route, but you could follow the tram route
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Tram and a turbo = Fair weather cycling!
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    msmancunia wrote:
    I used to go in from North Mcr so just went up Chapel St but from Piccadilly I would probably go:

Whitworth St
    Turn right on to Oxford St (not Road)
    Then left onto Chepstow St and Gt Bridgewater St along down the side of the Hilton
    Straight over at the lights down Liverpool Rd to the bottom & turn right
    Turn almost immediate left - this is (I think) called Hampson St. It is a dead end bridge for cars but will take you over the river. There is a bike chicane at the end that will take you to Trinity Way. Cross over at the ped/bike crossing.
    Go up the road opposite and take the next left under the bridge up to Sainsburys & get in the middle lane - easier than it sounds.
    Over the lights and down Ordsall Lane to the bottom. Get in the right hand lane - again pretty easy as most are turning left.
    Turn right down Trafford Rd. Quays are on your left - either turn at the old Dock office and go through the Quays or carry up to the lights further on with the school on your left and turn here.
    This will bring you to a roundabout - take the second exit and it will bring you out at Booths.

Will also PM you with a name of a colleague who does the Brompton thing from Piccadilly who comes in from Wilmslow.

Your colleague was most helpful and I'm going to go:

Whitworth Street
    Whitworth Street West
    Deansgate
    Liverpool Road
    Water Street
    Princes Bridge
    Middlewood Street
    Liverpool Street
    Langworthy Road

Seems fairly straight forward.

Anyone know if Virgin trains demand that you cover your bike up before putting it in the luggage racks?
    msmancunia wrote:
    Surprised you've got away with flying up for so long!

That was the condition that I took the job. Mind it was only supposed to be for three months.

Gutted that I just got my BA Bronze tier and now I don't get to use the points accelerator...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Princes Bridge - that's it; I got the name wrong. It's a v handy short cut. You can also cut down Albion way to the Regent road roundabout - there is a really bike-friendly underpass that brings you out on Trafford Rd (with about 50m of pavement riding) that brings you out at the top of Broadway and then over to Booths.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Asprilla wrote:

Your colleague was most helpful and I'm going to go:

Whitworth Street
    Whitworth Street West
    Deansgate
    Liverpool Road
    Water Street
    Princes Bridge
    Middlewood Street
    Liverpool Street
    Langworthy Road

Seems fairly straight forward.

Anyone know if Virgin trains demand that you cover your bike up before putting it in the luggage racks?

That mirrors my route - it's pretty fast if you catch the lights well. Once over Princes Bridge there is a a cycle lane along Middlewood Street and Liverpool Street (but a few side roads to watch out for) . Deansgate can get a bit hectic, but nothing too crazy.

Def don't bother with the A56!

I don't think I have ever been asked on a Virgin train to cover the folding bike. What's more Virgin support the BromptonDock scheme and they don't give out bags with the bikes...That's not to say you won't come across a jobsworth train manager though.