Wheel/Guarantee advice

ElGooner
ElGooner Posts: 3
edited June 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

Apologies, similar questions have been asked before, but here goes.

I bought a Giant Rapid 1 from the online part of a large London bike shop, though I live in Hull. I bought it at Christmas, though I didnt start riding it until early May due to an injury. I've done about 160 miles and yesterday when I got back from a quick blast around the block, I heard a rattling noise. I checked around the bike and found two spokes which were very looose. So loose that when i put even the slightest pressue on them the popped straight out of the rim.

I phoned the bike shop today, and they said about finding my manual, and the frame number, which I have done, and I have since emailed them the details, I await their reply.

My question is, since this happened i've been reading a bit about his kind of problem. Do you think this is purely a set up problem from the start? or is the fact that im 18.6st and the wheels which come on this bike have 28 spokes the problem? should I be riding a different wheel full stop?

Thanks in advance

:O)

Comments

• If you have a Giant dealer local to you you're probably better going there to get it sorted. I had a similar problem with a Giant wheel set I bought on line and my local dealer sorted it for me under warranty even though I didn't buy the items from them - needless to say I thought the customer service was very good.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    160miles on a mountain bike could trash a set of descent wheels....all depends ho those miles have been riden....if youve been just road riding then no they shouldn't fail like that. 28spoke wheels can be just as strong but depends on the build so yes they could have been faulty...but its proving that fact.
    Giant are pretty good with warenty so you may get something. Best to get the wheel checked by LBS and see if it can be salvaged.
  • ElGooner
    ElGooner Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. There's a dealer about an hour away, and I did think about that so may make it happen if I get no luck from the bike shop.

Turnerjohn: Is it a mountain bike? I'm a noob but I thought it was pretty much a sportive bike with flat bars? I've only ever riden it on the road. Have hit a few pot holes etc but nothing more than can be expected
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    ElGooner wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. There's a dealer about an hour away, and I did think about that so may make it happen if I get no luck from the bike shop.

Turnerjohn: Is it a mountain bike? I'm a noob but I thought it was pretty much a sportive bike with flat bars? I've only ever riden it on the road. Have hit a few pot holes etc but nothing more than can be expected

woops sorry my bad ! yes a flat bar road bike is what it is....still the wheels should be pretty strong enough. Having said that pot holes can cause havoc with even very strong wheels....I've snapped spokes and had one rim buckle beyond repair from one pot hole....and I'm only 10stone !
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    I would return... the wheels are badly built and you need some new ones within the warranty... trying to get them right might end up in frustration
    left the forum March 2023