Tesco-isation of sportives

dead sheep
dead sheep Posts: 109
Club run and individual organised sportives used to be the order of the day. Spud Riley, Rocko Roller, Devil Ride, Fred Whitton, Cumberland Challenge used to be held in high esteem, some still are and some of these remain popular and well-patronised. But more and more, we are seeing the humble locally organised events disappearing off the scene. This is a terrible shame when considering these humble events were organised for the benefit of local cyclists and on occasion, charities.

Today, it is Evans, Wiggle, Kilotogo, Wheels-in-Wheels, Action Research and mega-charities amongst others. Inevitably they are becoming blander and blander as prices increase. In effect we are witnessing a Tesco-isation of our sport - the Clone Sportive.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    There does seem to be a surplus of sportives right now but I suppose its kind of inevitable given the popularity of cycling. I seem to remember similar at the height of the running boom. What I think will happen is that the poor, the bland, the badly organised, the overpriced will fail and the good ones of which there are many, will survive and flourish
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Don't see this. If I do an event that feels cynical and poorly run, I don't do it again. There are still lots too enjoy like the Dartmoor Classic, Dragon as well as new events like the Dartmoor Demon this year.

Plenty on my list of events to try. As popularity has increased, so more have sprung up, but many are run by enthusiastic and well-meaning organisers. It's easy to focus on the worst kind.

Sunday I'll ride the Nello for the 4th time, organised by FORCE cancer charity from Topsham Rugby Club in East Devon. You will struggle to find a friendlier day out or better cake anywhere!
  • dead sheep wrote:
    Club run and individual organised sportives used to be the order of the day. Spud Riley, Rocko Roller, Devil Ride, Fred Whitton, Cumberland Challenge used to be held in high esteem, some still are and some of these remain popular and well-patronised. But more and more, we are seeing the humble locally organised events disappearing off the scene. This is a terrible shame when considering these humble events were organised for the benefit of local cyclists and on occasion, charities.

Today, it is Evans, Wiggle, Kilotogo, Wheels-in-Wheels, Action Research and mega-charities amongst others. Inevitably they are becoming blander and blander as prices increase. In effect we are witnessing a Tesco-isation of our sport - the Clone Sportive.
    Haven't we heard all of this before?