SCR Glossary

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Appears to be a few new terms popping up. My favourites at the moment:

iPed - a pedestrian wandering onto the road because they are so engrossed with their smartphone, iPod, Blackberry, etc
Dohped - Somebody riding an underpowered hairdryer like a numpty

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    I quite like podestrian as an alternative to iped.
    My preferred terms of abuse are twunt and phucktard. Get round the swearing filter, but they have a nice ring to them anyway. Not that recent though I suspect.
  • BDB - Bolan Death Bridge - a bridge in putney where it is conssidered very unsporting to attack on so all SCR is void
    PT - Public Transport - it took me ages to figure that one out
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Triantelope - someone who owns a 5 grand bike but doesn't know how to ride it.
    DSC - the bit just after VBR, heading West
    Ballet School Hill - a misnomer
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I've never ridden it, but have always liked the name 'Col de Chutney Mary'.

Chutney Mary is the name of the Indian restaurant on King's Road right?
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Cockwomble needs to be on here. I think the meaning is clear enough
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    We dont talk about SCR, you know's the ruleZ :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Cockwomble needs to be on here. I think the meaning is clear enough
    Indeed, knew I'd missed a good insult.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hill: something a londom commuter uses to describe a flat piece of road ;-)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    supersonic wrote:
    Hill: something a London commuter uses to describe a flat piece of road ;-)

Hmm Waterloo bridge in the morning is as a Londoner born and bred frankly embarrassing, everyday I see someone or more actually blow on what must be 1% for 30 feet :oops:

oh the shame :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Ooh! I like this. Kinda an Urban Dictionary but specifically for cyclists.

I think that we have to look at a typical piece of prose from this forum to understand how many cycling specific phrases we might unwittingly use on a daily basis e.g.

Great weather this morning as I commuted in bibs and s/s (working on my tan lines); didn't even need a base layer. Felt really strong as I headed along Embankment and was JRA when some WVM left-hooked me at Temple. SMIDSY he says and when I told him he must have seen me as he's just overtaken me he started to get lairy so I D-Lock'd the cnut

Out of this typical short story we can draw the following:

Bibs - lycra shorts with straps over the shoulder. Often eschewed by the younger rider but once you reach a certain age they just feel right. Care must be taken that they aren't a/ white b/ see through c/ worn with a paunch or worst of all d/ in team colours

s/s - short sleeved. A short sleeved top. worn specifically to work on:

Tan lines - an obscure reference only understood by proper cyclists as referring to 'The Rules' and specifically rule number 7

Base layer - top made of wicking material worn in place of a vest

Really strong - tailwind

Embankment - the natural home of cycle communters doon sooth

JRA - just riding along

WVM - White Van Man. Typically one of those nasty manual labourer/working class types who drives his ton and a half vehicle around narrow London streets with total disregard for other users

Left-hook - the manouevre when a driver that is desperate to get ahead of the cyclist ahead of them in order to save themselves 10 seconds accelerates past the cyclist only to suddenly turn left into the next junction causing the rider to slam on the brakes or slam into the side of the car/van leading to unhappy results on all sides

Temple - the place of worship on Embankment, also known as the centre of the known universe

SMIDSY - Sorry Mate I didn't see you. The natural response of all car/van/lorry drivers who absolutely did see you but couldn't be bothered to wait until you had passed

D-lock - a heavy metal object usually used for securing bicycles to lamp posts, metal railings or any other inanimate object that can also be used as a defensive weapon

Some of the descriptions above obviously lead onto further items requiring explanation e.g. communters etc. but you get the picture.

Feel free to add/elaborate on my descriptions.

BTW 'cyclist' has of course already been defined on the urban dictionary and ewww, no i didnt know those other definitions of cyclist. But there's some other good cycling terms and definitions over there on the left hand menu under the see also section.
    FCN = 4
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    itboffin wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Hill: something a London commuter uses to describe a flat piece of road ;-)

Hmm Waterloo bridge in the morning is as a Londoner born and bred frankly embarrassing, everyday I see someone or more actually blow on what must be 1% for 30 feet :oops:

oh the shame :cry:

Are you talking about yourself... when you're walking??
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Tailwind - a myth originally propagated in the early 90's to excuse the increases in speed brought about by abuse of EPO.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Chicked - overtaken by a member of the fairer sex.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem